Other Teams You Follow? Alongside MCFC

Only City when it comes to true obsession and following. But I keep an eye on and root for . . .

-- Georgetown University soccer, mens and womens (my alma mater)
-- Oakland Roots -- a new second-tier USL team here in the Bay Area
-- My daughter's high school boys side -- she is dating the keeper; they are very strong and send some kids every year on scholarship to colleges and do well at California state tournaments -- have a striker this year allegedly being scouted by the US National team who we have known since he was 5!

Among European pro teams I have a soft spot for . . .

-- Hearts (a group of buddies here who follow different English sides all key on Hearts as our "second team" just to have something to agree on)
-- Hamburger SV (I love Hamburg and Vinnie played there)
-- Viktoria Plzen (good friend of mine is Czech and they're his side)

And in England I have always had a fondness for Norwich.

I'll always have a soft spot for Stockport County, my grandad on my mums side lived in edgely and was a season ticket holder for 60+ years and he used to take me to the Friday night games when I was a kid. Saw the great Frank Worthington when I was 9 and although he was well past it, still had moments of magic, also my first 2 trips to wembley was watching them lose in both games in a week in the playoff final and auto glass trophy final and getting my programme signed by the 8th wonder of the world Kevin Francis.

Only City when it comes to true obsession and following. But I keep an eye on and root for . . .

-- My daughter's high school boys side -- she is dating the keeper; they are very strong and send some kids every year on scholarship to colleges and do well at California state tournaments -- have a striker this year allegedly being scouted by the US National team who we have known since he was 5!

-- Hearts (a group of buddies here who follow different English sides all key on Hearts as our "second team" just to have something to agree on)

Is the game really growing now in your neck of the woods?

I didnt know there was a second tier USL.

I'll always have a soft spot for Stockport County, my grandad on my mums side lived in edgely and was a season ticket holder for 60+ years and he used to take me to the Friday night games when I was a kid. Saw the great Frank Worthington when I was 9 and although he was well past it, still had moments of magic, also my first 2 trips to wembley was watching them lose in both games in a week in the playoff final and auto glass trophy final and getting my programme signed by the 8th wonder of the world Kevin Francis.
I didn't used to mind County and would go to Friday night games quite often. I knew some of their main lads and my Uncle was a fucking hooligan. What did it for me though was when they beat us in the league at Edgeley Park. That night was horrible their fans pissed me right off.

Is the game really growing now in your neck of the woods?

I didnt know there was a second tier USL.
Well, it's trying . . . MLS is the Prem, USL is the Championship and like EFL, has a USL League One and USL League Two underneath it. Some MLS teams are drawing tens of thousands; others just thousands. It's pretty imbalanced. The Seattle/Portland rivalry is a pretty epic one now, and the football is improving, and the fan bases growing . . . but we've adopted the Mexican fan practice of drums (argh), and more chants instead of songs, so the at-game atmosphere is still (IMO) woeful vs. the UK and Europe.

Again, just IMO, if we assume the MLS is basically upper EFL League One quality (maybe lower Championship), then USL is EFL League Two (maybe lower League One) in quality. No promotion/relegation -- which is a fan debate yes/no, but not an owner debate (a clear NO). A few USL teams are like the farm teams for the MLS clubs (like Barca B).

When I say "2nd tier USL" I am being redundant -- the Roots are USL, or the American Championship, or 2nd tier, not the League 2 of USL, which is 4th tier. The Roots play at an old junior college (American) football stadium in Oakland with 5K capacity and sell out every game. Season tix are $300 for general admission; $1300 for pitchside seats with a few "luxury boxes" (one is actually the PA announcers' booth for American football).

Here's what you get for $1,300 . . .
  • Private Entrance (no lines)
  • Exclusive Seating on the sideline of the field at Laney Stadium. Includes footrest and cup holders.
  • Access to reserved parking area near Stadium
  • Access to a complimentary private bar (Beer, wine, soft drinks)
  • 2023 Official Roots Jersey per Membership
  • Reserved Seat
That's a pretty good deal for 17 matches I think. $75/game for the best seat, free parking and free drinks -- and the Bay Area's best weather with relatively little chance of rain since its a March-October sport here. And $300/seat for cheapest season ticket is really good.

The Roots are starting to look for a more permanent stadium site but its ludicrously expensive to build one. Ownership thinks they could draw 8-10K a year for the mens side and is starting a womens side too.

Today it's cheap and a great time, and I think has resonated esepcially with the Oakland Raiders NFL team moving to Las Vegas, the Golden State Warriors moving across the bay to San Francisco, and the Oakland A's baseball team regularly drawing less than the Roots (and also rumored to move to Las Vegas).

Last edited:
Darlington FC - I was thick as pigshit at school so to improve my writing my mum gave me the idea of writing to football clubs asking for autographs. Darlo sent me programmes as well as the autographs so they became my second team.
I am a season ticket holder at City (43 years) and at Darlo and donate money every month to help make them competitive as they are fan owned stuck in NLN.

In Scotland its Motherwell, they have a friendship with Darlington.

In Germany I look out for Aachen and Dynamo Dresden.

I am a Groundhopper so visit grounds at home and abroad, its gives you great opportunities to meet other clubs fans. Theres too many to mention that I look out for! :)

Last edited:

My daughter's alma mater also. Hoya Saxa!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.