Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Danny mills on talkshite (i don't know why i do this to myself) offering virtually no insight.
"What will the atmosphere be like?"
"Nothing like the Bernabau". Can we find someone who actually is passionate about city to be the city pundit they call?
Danny ‘fuckin’ Mills eh, the only thing I remember him for is getting schooled by Joey Barton in a debate on the radio, hilarious stuff.

Danny mills on talkshite (i don't know why i do this to myself) offering virtually no insight.
"What will the atmosphere be like?"
"Nothing like the Bernabau". Can we find someone who actually is passionate about city to be the city pundit they call?
Hopefully it is nothing like the Bernabau. Early in the game I heard 1,800 blues singing Johnny Stones. Throughout I heard other songs and BT even mentioned them singing Blue Moon. By contrast 73,200 Madrid fans whistled a few times and twirled their scarves. If the wankstain genuinely thinks that was an intimidating atmosphere he needs a new career.
More likely his script told him to say that.

Maybe someone who was there can enlighten me but when the cameras panned to the crowd the punters looked like they were at a fashion show rather than a football match. Also when you have around 70,000 + 1 urging you on there's bound to be some noise.
I wasn't there last night but have been there previously and found it much quieter than most other Spanish stadiums. I also know that Atleti fans mock Real fans for their lack of atmosphere. The Camp Nou is another myth in terms of atmosphere. Literally packed with tourists. On the other hand Seville was a cauldron of noise.

Not a gambler myself but value their opinion far more than any pundit looking for clicks.
They are offering R.M. at 5/1 next week to win at ours.
I know they sometimes get it wrong but not often.
City 4/6 to win the chumps.

let's have some credit/positivity...

Mr Samuel writes:

Here it was. A result, and a performance, 12 long years in the making. Manchester City took on Real Madrid, the Bernabéu, the immense power and influence of Europe's perennial champions and, this time, survived.

They did not crumble, they would not succumb. Real Madrid had taken the lead in seven matches in the Champions League this season, prior to last night, and all seven had ended in victory. Manchester City broke that spell. The mission is far from complete. They must still win at the Etihad next Wednesday and Real Madrid are as dangerous on enemy turf as their own, but this was a giant step, a sign that they may just be the best team in the competition this season ? and capable of making that count. Omens? The usually unflappable Carlo Ancelotti was booked protesting against the City goal. He made a claim about a corner he felt his team should have had pretty much two minutes earlier. Not often is he given to anger, or anxiety.

It's been a long haul to this point. It was 2011 when City first embarked on the Champions League journey that many feel is their destiny. In that time there have been two group-stage exits, three in the round of 16, three quarterfinal failures, two in semi-finals ? both times eliminated by Real Madrid ? and that 2021 final disappointment against Chelsea. Yet this felt different. Madrid had them where they wanted them, but couldn't hold. Kevin De Bruyne equalised, and the Bernabéu was momentarily silenced.

They have had it their own way for so long, Real Madrid. This place with its ghosts and legends intimidates visitors from opponents to referees. Yet not City. Not last night. This was a bold, brave performance, that tees up a thrilling second leg and may yet end in disillusionment yet again. But there is something about this City side that suggests they are made of stronger stuff. They took what Madrid threw at them ? a well-executed gameplan, a fabulous goal by Vinícius Júnior ? and hurled it straight back. That's what experience does for you, eventually.

With due respect to the Milanese it is perhaps a bonus that these teams were drawn together in the last four. That way, the Champions League gets two finals this year. The real one, obviously, is on June 10 in Istanbul, and this one, played over two legs, a minimum of 180 minutes and in front of fervent crowds rather than the dreaded football family.

Watching them last night was to witness European football on another plane. The best players, the smartest managers, a fabulous history on one side, upstarts on the other. This is what Real thought a Super League could deliver, but how could that be, without this most prestigious prize as the backdrop? Turning this into a mundane annual fixture would have killed it. There deserves to be something enormous at stake each time these coaches, these players, these clubs meet. It is more than a gimmick to be sold to other continents. As Pep Guardiola attempted to pass Real to death in their own stadium, and Ancelotti responded with a fiendish waiting game, setting traps, letting City have so much of the ball they might let their guard down and blunder into one, this was close to the best sport football can offer. That is why it was worth fighting for, in this competition. That is why, in the knockout stages at least, it can never get old.

The level of whistling inside the Bernabéu suggested the locals did not have Ancelotti's patience. They were furious at how much of the ball City were seeing. After 25 minutes, 72 per cent possession; after 30 minutes, 253 passes to Madrid's 90. Yet after 36 minutes, one goal to City's nil. And those are the only numbers that matter, as Ancelotti would no doubt inform people if he were given to sermonising.

Modest to a fault, he said before this game that he does not have to tell his players much on nights like this. Yet no team with Madrid's ability play like this unless under instruction. Madrid have brilliant, beautiful players who would instinctively take the game to the opposition. Yes, they are stunning on the counterattack, but on the front foot too, which is how they will have to play most of their games in La Liga. So Ancelotti is playing down his role when he talks as if his players make it up as they go. Their lead here was the embodiment of a plan coming together, and it rattled City who had been lulled into a false sense of security, with the belief they were controlling the game.

By half-time, and with hindsight, it was obvious who was in control. Real Madrid had played this perfectly, the way they play this tournament too. Certainly, they were playing referee Artur Dias, from Portugal, who appeared in awe of the men in white, unable to believe they could possibly not have the purest intentions at heart. Dani Carvajal had already had several goes at Jack Grealish when he shoved him at pace into the electronic advertising hoardings. Grealish flicked out in retaliation and Carvajal collapsed as if run through with something Penny Mordaunt might be carrying. If football was serious about preventing serious injury, Carvajal should have been off. One day, someone is going to get badly hurt that way ? a broken shoulder, maybe a serious concussion. By contrast, what Grealish did wouldn't have squashed a fly.

Yet Dias ticked them off, as if both actions were the same. Eventually, he booked Toni Kroos ? but it took a thigh-high challenge to get there. Justice was served in the end, though.

For me i love the joke that Wio and ratboy make themselves look like now, it shows their utter pain and anguish City are causing them. Thats all they have now little old City living rent free in their heads, love it.

B49365C5-74D9-4DCD-A5CF-E03C184BEDE4.jpeg

BT Sport posting this on their official ‘tiktok Chanel’, Rio Ferdinand celebrating their goal, with the caption ‘Rio Ferdinand was all of us watching that Vini Jr opener’. More hard proof of the anti-City BT Sports bias, we’ve endured for the last 10 years. They don’t even hide it, run by the red shirts, everything they do, is for the red shirts.

Fuck BT Sports and their entire organisation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.