Kalvin Phillips

He's more clueless than a room full of VAR operators and a bigger waste of money than HS2. I don't think I've seen a more limited player signed by City in my lifetime, and I'm 55. Just what does he do?

He can't tackle.
He can't retain possession.
He can't create.
He offers zero goal threat.

He doesn't inspire any confidence and Wolves actually stood off him yesterday and let him have the ball, as it was effectively a way for them to time-waste without a risk of being booked.

That wasn’t on him though. Ake got outpaced again and 3 or 4 deflections went their way and they had an open goal.

Nice narrative that they scored within a minute of him coming on, but it was purely coincidental.
Agree that Ake got outpaced. Akanji then ordinary header. Watch the goal again once it’s played into the box and look who is the City player strolling back to the middle of the box watching it all unfold? Not saying it’s his fault, but didn’t do himself any favours. I thought he looked slow by foot and every pass he made was slow too. Receiving player had to slow down to collect/receive it. Could be a confidence thing. Sad to see, because I think he’s a much better than he’s shown us in a City shirt.

His part in the 2nd goal was farcical.

Identical to his slow tracking for Newcastle.

Watch him for both, he looks utterly bewildered as to where he has to be. As if he hasn’t played football all his life.

While I think Kalvin is abysmal and should never have been anywhere near this City side, that goal was in no way whatsoever his fault. Walker was miles out of position running 5 yards behind Aké on the left side of the pitch chasing Neto. Hwang ghosts in unmarked from the right back position and has a free shot at goal.

Better than Kova in that league pivot alone role.
I thought Kova's poor performance might've helped cut Phillips some slack (turns out that's not the case). It showed how difficult it is to play as Pep's pivot. Phillips wasn't great but none of the team were.

I almost feel sorry for Phillips. I knew as soon as the goal went in, our eyes will immediately zoom in on him. Maybe he could've done more, but there were 2-3 players around him that should've done better too.

giphy.gif

He's more clueless than a room full of VAR operators and a bigger waste of money than HS2. I don't think I've seen a more limited player signed by City in my lifetime, and I'm 55. Just what does he do?

He can't tackle.
He can't retain possession.
He can't create.
He offers zero goal threat.

He doesn't inspire any confidence and Wolves actually stood off him yesterday and let him have the ball, as it was effectively a way for them to time-waste without a risk of being booked.
I would venture he can do (and has done) all 4 of those things when he played at Leeds because Leeds played “off the leash.” Pep not only plays “on the leash,” but muzzled for the most part.

He CAN play, but the Pep system is almost robotic in its approach to the game and he is not a Pep robot…he was a Bielsa robot, who could go anywhere and do anything, as long as he took full responsibility for his man.

Like Grealish for most of his time here, and increasingly with Foden, it seems like flair is discouraged unless it is world class flair that actually produces a result. Messi had it, David Silva had it, Bernardo shows flashes of it. Alas, Grealish and Foden are passing robots! They pretend they might take you on, then pass it back to an open man. DON’T LOSE POSSESSION is more important than “penetrate by taking your man on one on one!”

Doku looks like he’s in a “damned if I do, damned if I don’t” position because when it’s paid off, it’s looked exciting, but when it doesn’t, it looks Sterling-esque!

I hate to say it, but I think a few half decent coaches have us completely sussed and it is only the QUALITY OF THE PLAYERS that makes us come out on top. Pep acknowledged that the quality of the players in his system is key, because it’s generally high risk defence complemented by a smothering attack that is designed to not let you at the Spartan defence.

In short, Pep needs to figure out how to use Haaland in games like this OR play a false nine and leave the opposition marking thin air.

Last edited:
Phillips was absolutely woeful

Just pay up his contract or subsidise a move or something in Jan, get him gone.

Technically a million miles away and doesnt even put a shift in, saunters back when he should be breaking his neck to get in

I would venture he can do (and has done) all 4 of those things when he played at Leeds because Leeds played “off the leash.” Pep not only plays “on the leash,” but muzzled for the most part.

He CAN play, but the Pep system is almost robotic on its approach to the game and he is not a Pep robot…he was a Bielsa robot, which could go anywhere and do anything, as long as you took full responsibility for your man.

Like Grealish for most of his time here, and increasingly with Foden, it seems like flair is discouraged unless it is world class flair that actually produces a result. Messi had it, David Silva had it, Bernardo shows flashes of it. Alas, Grealish and Giden are passing robots! They pretend they might take you on, then pass it back to an open man. DON’T LOSE POSSESSION is more important than “penetrate by taking your man on one on one!”

Doku looks like he’s in a “damned if I fo, damned if I don’t” position because when it’s gone off, it’s looked exciting, but when it doesn’t, it looks Sterling-esque!

I hate to say it, but I think a few half decent coaches have us completely sussed and it is only the QUALITY OF THE PLAYERS that makes us come out on top. Pep acknowledged that the quality of the players in his system is key, because it’s generally high risk defence complemented by a smothering attack that is designed to not let you at the Spartan defence.

In short, Pep needs to figure out how to use Haaland in games like this OR play a false nine and leave the opposition marking thin air.
I think you are right. Peps system seems to only work with a world class DM at its heart. Yesterday was particularly depressing trying the same things and expecting a different outcome. We honestly could have played another couple of hours and Haaland still wouldn't have had a sniff. When we are playing against a very competent five at the back, as you suggest, we need to revert to a false nine. Either that or Haaland needs to develop his game significantly so he can drop deep ala Kane.
As for Kalvin, poor guy is a fish out of water in this team. Hopefully he realises it after these games and asks for a move at Christmas. Then we need a coherent plan B for when Rodri is injured/suspended/not there. We have become reliant on one player and that ain't good.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.