Kalvin Phillips

Honestly, if I had his money I may do to get some happiness either to actually play meaningful football or to move on and enjoy life.

I've no idea of his worth but, a % of his xfer fee. signing on bonus and what 2 years of £160pw plus his prior to City earnings....he's hardly in need of the money unless he's been really shit in his personal life.
You love football. He might not. He’s won everything in club football barring the Carabao Cup. He may have no more drive to play football anymore.

Most people wouldn’t take the pay cut.

You love football. He might not. He’s won everything in club football barring the Carabao Cup. He may have no more drive to play football anymore.

I know it's just a job for some, hence my earlier pipe & slippers comment, yeah his medals will show he's won all sorts but, similar to Scott (who does provide a service) there's winning medals & winning medals.

I know it's just a job for some, hence my earlier pipe & slippers comment, yeah his medals will show he's won all sorts but, similar to Scott (who does provide a service) there's winning medals & winning medals.
I get what you’re saying, but the likelihood is that we’re stuck with him for 4 years.

He's worthless as a makeweight. He's on £160k a week. Everton aren't going to take that kind of salary on for 4-5 years for a player who only "might" rediscover some half decent form. And whilst Phillips might take some kind of salary drop to restart his career, he won't take a £100k per week salary drop when he still has four years on his contract to us.
I am worrying that the rags might use Luke Shaw as a makeweight

No one would take a pay cut and realistically he would probably taking a 70-80% hit on his present deal, that ain't happening and who could blame him for that.

It makes me laugh when anyone suggest he should for the "sake of his career", that's bollocks.

No one would take a pay cut and realistically he would probably taking a 70-80% hit on his present deal, that ain't happening and who could blame him for that.

It makes me laugh when anyone suggest he should for the "sake of his career", that's bollocks.

The "sake of his career" argument might make slightly more sense if he was 5 years younger but he's 29 next. There's probably 2 major England tournaments left to aim for but what chance does he really have of re-establishing himself for those?

If he moves to a club lower down the league he won't be competing for trophies. He MIGHT rediscover his best form over a couple of seasons but he's 30-31 by that point, so what big club is going to come along and give him his big chance then?

Sure he earned a bigger salary than most people earlier in his career but he was a championship player mostly. It's only over the past couple of years where he's been earning real megabucks i.e. the kind of money where he can retire and look after all of his family for the rest of their lives. The guy grew up dirt poor and he doesn't owe it to anyone to give up at least £100k a week. From his perspective he's probably willing to keep fighting for his place.

Fans are first to kick off when a players leaves to earn more elsewhere, but will then readily attack a player when they think they should accept being shipped off for not meeting their expectations.

The "sake of his career" argument might make slightly more sense if he was 5 years younger but he's 29 next. There's probably 2 major England tournaments left to aim for but what chance does he really have of re-establishing himself for those?

If he moves to a club lower down the league he won't be competing for trophies. He MIGHT rediscover his best form over a couple of seasons but he's 30-31 by that point, so what big club is going to come along and give him his big chance then?

Sure he earned a bigger salary than most people earlier in his career but he was a championship player mostly. It's only over the past couple of years where he's been earning real megabucks i.e. the kind of money where he can retire and look after all of his family for the rest of their lives. The guy grew up dirt poor and he doesn't owe it to anyone to give up at least £100k a week. From his perspective he's probably willing to keep fighting for his place.

Fans are first to kick off when a players leaves to earn more elsewhere, but will then readily attack a player when they think they should accept being shipped off for not meeting their expectations.
His career is done, he knows it, the motivation has gone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.