Israel-Palestine Conflict

It's a global issue why would it not be on the streets of the UK? The situation of Palestine is directly linked to the British empire so I would say it should be spoke about in this country

It's 2023, direct link went years ago, just like India, so we have to endure all responsibilities in our country do we for ever and ever?

When many couldn't point to Gaza on a map, never mind anything else.

You might want to look up the word "defending" because what Israel are doing right now cannot possibly be considered as defending itself.

In common law - or indeed any law I think - defence has to be proportional. You cannot reasonably defend yourself against a kid with a pea shooter by shooting him with an AK47. Let alone shooting his mum, dad, sisters and brothers as well.
Surely the intention of the Israelis is to kill Hamas? Now Hamas are basically strapping babies to their fronts and daring the Israelis to shoot knowing the outrage this would cause if they do shoot. What would you do if someone was coming to kill your family with a baby strapped to them? Let them kill your family or shoot knowing for certain that the innocent baby will die? So come on, what would you do? Kill a baby or let your family be killed?

Would you have the hostages found at the expense of, Let's say 50'000 Palestinian lives? We're already well over 10'000 with nearly half of those.Children.

Too many have been killed, one innocent life is too many but be careful in throwing around numbers that are coming from Hamas.

Both sides will tell you what they think their supporters want to hear right now.

Surely the intention of the Israelis is to kill Hamas? Now Hamas are basically strapping babies to their fronts and daring the Israelis to shoot knowing the outrage this would cause if they do shoot. What would you do if someone was coming to kill your family with a baby strapped to them? Let them kill your family or shoot knowing for certain that the innocent baby will die? So come on, what would you do? Kill a baby or let your family be killed?
I think that's a really poor analogy because you are painting a picture of a small loss (albeit a baby) for a large gain, i.e. multiple lives saved, whereas what we are seeing in Gaza is the opposite. 10,000 dead and counting is it now? How many dead is acceptable to you? 20,000? 100,000? 1m?

I'll give you a MUCH better analogy - as I have posted on here previously. A madman with a gun shoots a load of innocent people and then barricades himself into an empty property with a couple of hostages. Do the police say "fuck it let's blow the house up and sod the hostages"? No, they do not.

It's a global issue why would it not be on the streets of the UK? The situation of Palestine is directly linked to the British empire so I would say it should be spoke about in this country
Long and proud tradition of protest and solidarity in this country going back to Peterloo so agree, it's inevitable people will talk about it. Plus the govt and Tory press' stance is making it worse because people feel as soon as they express sympathy with Palestinians they get lumped in with anti-Semites and terror sympathisers so taking to the street becomes the way to get heard.

And govt's stance is directly linked to the fact that Israel is in large part a British creation... Going all the way back 1917 with the Balfour Declaration as has prob already been said on the thread. Govt back then wanted a sphere of influence in the ME and the support of the international Jewish community in WW1 so proposed a Jewish state in the region.

A noble project considering the history of Jewish persecution in Europe. But they didn't seek the consent of locals, the wording of the commitment was woolly and we didn't safeguard the rights of locals. It's been a mess ever since but one the old (British) and present-day (US) empires still have a stake in because Israel was created for geopolitical reasons as well as religious and humanitarian ones.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.