What's the best mind-blowing movie twist of all time? Spoiler alerts as standard!

Kippaxpete

Team supported
Manchester City
As a starter for 10, I'll nominate The Others. Set in 1945, the principal character, Grace, played by Nicole Kidman, lives with her two young children in a large country house in Jersey having given up her soldier husband as dead. The twist in The Others is that Grace eventually figures out that she and her family are not being haunted but are, in fact, ghosts, and that 'the others' of the title is a reference to a new family living in the house. Like all great movie twists, the story draws you in on a certain premise before completely disorientating the viewer. I remember being really annoyed at my complete failure to see it coming!

As a starter for 10, I'll nominate The Others. Set in 1945, the principal character, Grace, played by Nicole Kidman, lives with her two young children in a large country house in Jersey having given up her soldier husband as dead. The twist in The Others is that Grace eventually figures out that she and her family are not being haunted but are, in fact, ghosts, and that 'the others' of the title is a reference to a new family living in the house. Like all great movie twists, the story draws you in on a certain premise before completely disorientating the viewer. I remember being really annoyed at my complete failure to see it coming!
Good thread & good post, cheers.

I bet watching Empire Strikes Back for the first time was great. The Usual Suspects, Seven, The Sixth Sense all blew my mind the first time.
The Vanishing (The 1988 version) is also a great one, won't spoil it here
Yep, all 3 esp Sixth Sense.
I was one of I think very few who actually enjoyed The Village too.

The Crying Game, when the character undresses for sex and turns out to be trangender.

It caught me so much by surprise that I blurted out "She's got a dick!!!" to my eternal shame.

There's a horror film from the 80s called Sleepaway Camp that has a similar twist, same reaction from me!

I bet watching Empire Strikes Back for the first time was great. The Usual Suspects, Seven, The Sixth Sense all blew my mind the first time.
The Vanishing (The 1988 version) is also a great one, won't spoil it here
Excellent suggestions. Note though, the thread title asks you to name what you think is the 'best mind-blowing movie twist' i.e. describe your favourite twist. Hence the reference to spoiler alerts.

Brilliant film, best ghost story ever

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.