9 | Erling Haaland - 2023/24

Will always struggle to understand why we don't play more balls into his path for him to run onto.

Would have scored 3 or 4 today playing in that Liverpool side.
Maybe because it would be chat mode if we played upon his obvious strengths?

No, it has to be that Pep develops the tactics to be something else than what our opponents can expect from us. Unpredictability, development and variation.

Pep has a few ideas on how to develop the whole team to something new and advanced, and as long as we win he accepts bumps on the way?

Yet we play better without him In my opinion, I’ve been pulled on it before but as I unit we look better overall, faster paced, intricate passing, when he was injured it’s been our best football by far all season, brilliant striker, bang average footballer.
He’s not bang average though, you can’t possibly say or think that. Some of his touches, passes and assists have been top notch
Still loads to improve on but bang average is just way off.

Yet we play better without him In my opinion, I’ve been pulled on it before but as I unit we look better overall, faster paced, intricate passing, when he was injured it’s been our best football by far all season, brilliant striker, bang average footballer.
I get the point but the club will be happier with the ££££ he has generated.

Kane is more adaptable than Haaland. His workrate in midfield is far in excess of Haaland.
In my opinion, Kane would score 40+ a season at City, and would be a better 'fit' for Pep's system (which is why Pep wanted him)
The main thing Haaland has in his favour is his age.

If Levy had been prepared to accept a lower fee for Kane, he'd almost definitely be a City player now, and Haaland would be elsewhere.

Txiki did a fantastic job to get Haaland for half the price of Kane. Unfortunately, I suspect that a lot of strings were involved in his signing, mostly in Haaland's (and no doubt Real Madrid's) favour in the medium/ long term.

Haaland has been and for the foreseeable future will continue to be great for us, but to be absolutely honest, just for better balance in the team, I wish we'd signed Harry Kane.
Kane has had plenty of games at Spurs and for England where his workrate was similar to Haaland's vs Liverpool. Even at International level. For what it is worth one striker isn't better than other.

Last edited:
Definitely mate. But we have to remember he’s still only a half dozen games back from his lay off and his goals have probably given us fans a reason to get ahead of ourselves.
He’s been sluggish at times but that’s to be expected.
I just think he’s the kind of player we should embrace and not let our emotions get the better of us when he’s not great.
well said.

Kane has had plenty of games at Spurs and for England where his workrate was similar to Haaland's vs Liverpool. International level. For what it is worth one striker isn't better than other.
Haaland's workrate in midfield is almost non-existent week in, week out. He's not a particularly good footballer, just a red hot striker.
When he's not scoring, he's very ineffective.
Kane is at the very least a good all-round footballer.

Maybe it would be better to play him 60mn/game, it feels like his body cant handle 90mn every 3 days and switch to eco mode
I agree, he played fewer 90 mins last season when he was more agile. But again, it may be Pep's new tactics to play him in 90 mins in eco mode aswell. If it suits his new plans using him differently. Things are not bad, we are mostly winning and that is even with a lot of questionable ref decisions.

The signing of Haaland has catapulted us to another level as a club. People buy tickets just to see him. From a commercial point of view; he is probably our best ever signing and paid for himself 10 x over already.

Pep Guardiola was, and will always be, our best ever signing from a commercial point of view.

We live in sad times, when attracting football tourists is the priority for clubs.

Haaland's workrate in midfield is almost non-existent week in, week out. He's not a particularly good footballer, just a red hot striker.
When he's not scoring, he's very ineffective.
Kane is at the very least a good all-round footballer.
I agree to disagree. One striker isn't better than the other and if anything Haaland has achieved a lot more in his short career despite his percieved deficiencies.We don't need extra creativity or our striker to run around like a lunatic we just lack the finish. Haaland's golden chance was well defended by van Dijk.

Last edited:
I agree to disagree. One striker isn't better than the other and if anything Haaland has achieved a lot more in his short career despite his percieved deficiencies.We don't need extra creativity or our striker to run around like a lunatic we just lack the finish. Haaland's golden chance was well defended by van Dijk.
Van Djik's approach to that move was exemplary. That's why he's still one of the best defenders in the game. That said, I honestly think that 22/23 Haaland would have beaten Van Djik and scored in exactly the same situation. He's falling a long way short of his performances last season imo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.