Owning a woodland

Seems you can buy them for around 15k an acre depending on which part of the country. Sounds a good idea, cutting some trees down to sell as firewood, charging for wild camping, woodcraft and dogging etc.
You are allowed to build a cabin or site a caravan but apparently you can only live in it for 28 days a year, but I doubt that could be enforced somewhere remote. I'm seriously looking into it anyway, could be a good investment as they increase in value and they are exempt from capital gains tax.
Back in around 1900, my great grandfather was a farm labourer with a growing family.

He wanted to buy a farm, but couldn't get a mortgage, however he did manage to get support from a wealthy gentleman to make the purchase.

After buying the farm, he then went about selling off a lot of timber on the property to pay off his loan and very soon became a debt free farmer.

Back in around 1900, my great grandfather was a farm labourer with a growing family.

He wanted to buy a farm, but couldn't get a mortgage, however he did manage to get support from a wealthy gentleman to make the purchase.

After buying the farm, he then went about selling off a lot of timber on the property to pay off his loan and very soon became a debt free farmer.
That's a nice story.

Young forrest care, replanting. You still have forrests in England?

I'm led to believe there is more ancient woodland in the UK than there is in the rest of europe combined, so yes, yes we do.

On a separate note, a guy I worked with 20 years ago was a bit.....odd. Then he smashed his kit car up and became even odder. Nice guy, just odd. He was in the process of buying a plot of woodland I think (if memory serves) in Wales with the intent of building a cabin there to live. No idea how that went as we lost touch, so there probably was little point in sharing this anecdote was there, sorry.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.