Parking restrictions at Asda Eastlands

If you read the threads in The Cellar, and probably the general news too, it will become evident that now that clamping and towing away is illegal they can only give you a ticket. If the ticket isn't issued by the police or local authority, but by private land parking wardens, these tickets are unenforceable, although threatening letters will ensue if you do ignore them. If you simply ignore all correspondence, there is nothing they can do.

Having said all the above, it might be that now that clamping and towing away is illegal, before long, there might be some judgement which opens the floodgates to an easy way of enforcement for these private companies.

Franny Lee's Barrel Chest said:
If you read the threads in The Cellar, and probably the general news too, it will become evident that now that clamping and towing away is illegal they can only give you a ticket. If the ticket isn't issued by the police or local authority, but by private land parking wardens, these tickets are unenforceable, although threatening letters will ensue if you do ignore them. If you simply ignore all correspondence, there is nothing they can do.

Having said all the above, it might be that now that clamping and towing away is illegal, before long, there might be some judgement which opens the floodgates to an easy way of enforcement for these private companies.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19782680" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19782680</a>

But landowners are boosted by stronger laws on ticketing, which mean unpaid charges can be claimed from the keeper of the vehicle, as well as the driver.

Kakhaber Tskhadadze K.O.T.A. said:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19782680" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19782680</a>

But landowners are boosted by stronger laws on ticketing, which mean unpaid charges can be claimed from the keeper of the vehicle, as well as the driver.

<a class="postlink" href="http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=16231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act ... t&id=16231</a>

This is a long but interesting (and entertaining read). The bottom line is that the parking operator could not prove any losses by their parking company as losses by parking was by the company and not the parking company. It was proven that the parking company was not authorised to charge the guy for parking as they didn't own the land. There was also discussion as to the amount of parking charge being disproportionate to the perceived losses and given that there were plenty of spaces, they can't possibly have incurred any losses whatsoever.

I'm sure the government want these parking companies on board so have promised extra "Powers", but actually, the law regarding parking on private land hasn't changed so the above case still holds true. The parking companies know full well that a good proportion of people will pay the charge, so for the relative few who just ignore everything, I am fairly sure they will give up when they know they're being ignored. The key phrase in the BBC report is unpaid charges can be "Claimed" from the keeper as well as the driver. It all depends of course, what is "Claimed" and if the amount "Claimed" is a true reflection on the actual cost to ASDA (or wherever else) of your car being there. I would suggest that until there is a test case then the status quo will remain.

More information here:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclai ... ng-tickets</a>

Re: Parking restrictions at Asda Eastlands #updated

I was at Asda Eastlands yesterday afternoon and noticed signs for event parking, I drove back there before the game and part of the Car Park was sectioned off, I t cost me a fiver to park. I wasn't aware that Asda did this and am now wondering if it's just for night games as I can't see them doing it if we have a 3PM KO on a Saturday afternoon.

beano46 said:
I was at Asda Eastlands yesterday afternoon and noticed signs for event parking, I drove back there before the game and part of the Car Park was sectioned off, I t cost me a fiver to park. I wasn't aware that Asda did this and am now wondering if it's just for night games as I can't see them doing it if we have a 3PM KO on a Saturday afternoon.

^ they do.

The started doing it for every match from about October. When they first put the signs up they wanted £10! Obviously no takers as it dropped to £5 aafter about 3 matches ;) They just have the back corner of the car park fenced off, normal shoppers don't have to pay (many supermarkets near stadiums are all pay and display where you get your money back if you buy something... surprised eastlands haven't started doing this. Glad they haven't though!)

(I don't use it, but often get dropped off at asda on the way to the match so notice this stuff as we drive in!)

kippaxkid74 said:
beano46 said:

^ they do.

The started doing it for every match from about October. When they first put the signs up they wanted £10! Obviously no takers as it dropped to £5 aafter about 3 matches ;) They just have the back corner of the car park fenced off, normal shoppers don't have to pay (many supermarkets near stadiums are all pay and display where you get your money back if you buy something... surprised eastlands haven't started doing this. Glad they haven't though!)

(I don't use it, but often get dropped off at asda on the way to the match so notice this stuff as we drive in!)

Nice one Kippax thanks for that, as I said I only came across this by chance yesterday, I don't usually Drive to match but get the bus and the tram, the Asda car park is by far the better option, it may take a bit longer getting home due to traffic but sitting in a nice warm car sat in traffic is better than me freezing my nads off waiting for a tram then getting half crushed to death when I eventually get on it.

A moderately sized donation to the local Beswick Tory Party and Dave will enact whichever law would fill private company coffers. I was born a cynic, and I've honed my cynicism for many a decade!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.