Running

Oliver190

I started when I was 17 and I couldn't run 10 minutes in a row. Now, by 23 I can run 1 hour, 3 times a week. Personal best 45:39 for 10 Km's. Trying to make in less than 40 minutes until the end of the next year.

Do you guys here practise this sport?

I used to do a lot when I was a kid but stopped in my late 20's when life and children and work got in the way. Started again age 40 and after a couple of years was around the same pace as you are now. Stopped again due to knee problems but cycled instead. Just started running again and I'm at 6 minutes per km for 10 but will get it down as I lose weight.

Keep it up mate and make sure you have good shoes if you're running on roads.

I used to but had to stop.
I got to sub 40 for 10k. First time I did it was one of the best feelings ever - then I did it again 2 weeks later and knocked another 30 seconds off

Ran a few marathons, then found out I had a heart defect. Oops!

Had heart surgery in April and I'm now steadily building the miles back up. Feeling fucking great - I always found it hard in the past, but had no idea at the time that it was because I had a dodgy ticker.

Now I'm looking forward to getting some marathon PBs as I approach 40!

I used to go for a run in the morning before work. Really enjoyed it, felt good for the rest of the day. Unfortunately I'm 60 now and my knees are knackered.

Trying to get better slowly. Just did 3k in 19 minutes. Not built for it but determined to do 5k in under 30 minutes this year.

OP - if you want to get to sub 40, you are going to need to increase your weekly mileage by quite a bit. No way you will do it on 20 miles a week

Breaking 40 would be an incredible achievement seeing where u started. I got to 42:43 mins and once did a 19:55 5k. Best and worst feelings ever as I think I puked on the 10k. I'd say you really need to put long miles in as I know that helped me a lot. Keep going for it as no better feeling than finishing that race and beating that target.

I'm also 23 and have a PB in 10k in a triathlon of 37 mins, you can go sub40 but it will take time, as the quicker you get the harder it is to become even quicker.

Whoever said you can't do it on 20 miles a week is talking rubbish.

running 3 times a week for an hour at the same pace will only get you so far. You'd be better off building to 4 or 5 runs with most being 30-45 mins and only doing one long run per week/fortnight. Then you can work on your top end speed, threshold speed and actually improve your bodies ability to maintain a quicker pace by doing intervals etc.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.