Running

I do, twice a week just to keep my hand in. I prefer road cycling these days but keep at it. Nothing silly or quick, im too heavy really for it. I do 10ks in 55-60 mins, never better but never worse. I lift weights 3 times a week, and go and run after it for about 3.5 miles. Its enough for me

I'm also 23 and have a PB in 10k in a triathlon of 37 mins, you can go sub40 but it will take time, as the quicker you get the harder it is to become even quicker.

Whoever said you can't do it on 20 miles a week is talking rubbish.

running 3 times a week for an hour at the same pace will only get you so far. You'd be better off building to 4 or 5 runs with most being 30-45 mins and only doing one long run per week/fortnight. Then you can work on your top end speed, threshold speed and actually improve your bodies ability to maintain a quicker pace by doing intervals etc.
That was me and no its not rubbish at all.
For a start, what you are advocating he runs is going to work out at more than 20 miles.
Secondly, adding in tempo or intervals on low mileage will not get the best results. They are the icing on the cake. Long, steady miles is the base. No good having icing with no base!
I'd be interested to see a training plan that suggests it would get you sub 40 on 20 miles a week.

I'm also 23 but do triathlons and have a race PB of 37 mins in 10k, you can go sub40 but it will take time, as the quicker you get the harder it is to become even quicker.

Whoever said you can't do it on 20 miles a week is talking rubbish.

running 3 times a week for an hour at the same pace will only get you so far. You'd be better off building to 4 or 5 runs with most being 30-45 mins and only doing one long run per week/fortnight. Then you can work on your top end speed, threshold speed and actually improve your bodies ability to maintain a quicker pace by doing intervals etc.
That was me and no its not rubbish at all.
For a start, what you are advocating he runs is going to work out at more than 20 miles.
Secondly, adding in tempo or intervals on low mileage will not get the best results. They are the icing on the cake. Long, steady miles is the base. No good having icing with no base!
I'd be interested to see a training plan that suggests it would get you sub 40 on 20 miles a week.
that's completely subjective though. If this guy is serious about his running by all means increase the mileage, build volume and then add the intensity. But it's not impossible to get a sub40 by fitting in your 20 miles a week. Certainly 25, which he could easily fit in after a few weeks build.

EDIT: I'm not even sure where we have pulled 20 miles out from, it's not in the OP

that's completely subjective though. If this guy is serious about his running by all means increase the mileage, build volume and then add the intensity. But it's not impossible to get a sub40 by fitting in your 20 miles a week. Certainly 25, which he could easily fit in after a few weeks build.

EDIT: I'm not even sure where we have pulled 20 miles out from, it's not in the OP
I made a guess of 20 miles based on the time he was running for and his level. Unless he is sprinting round it will be there or there abouts.

I estimated 20 miles based on his time running and his level. Would think with those times he will train at around 9 minute miles which would come out at 20 miles.

I use to do 10k runs on the treadmills back when I was 17 (10 years ago) but after 2 years it fucked my shins up and now I suffer with really bad shin splints so when I try to run now it fucking kills!

OP - if you want to get to sub 40, you are going to need to increase your weekly mileage by quite a bit. No way you will do it on 20 miles a week
If it was me, I would increase the milage a bit; but I disagree that he should increase it by 'quite a bit'. He's only training for a short distance but wants to get a better time. So although putting in the miles will certainly benefit, I'd focus more on speed work.

Great thread.

I used to run a bit, maybe 3/4 times per week and only 3-5 miles each. Stopped last year due to not having enough time to do it and I also had knee surgery in Jan and haven't wanted to put it under too much pressure. Good thread as I'm going to go for my first run later today to try and get back into it.

Never been as fast as some on here, I'm 42 now and will run 5k in about 30mins, at my peak probably around 25mins...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.