Running

I use to do 10k runs on the treadmills back when I was 17 (10 years ago) but after 2 years it fucked my shins up and now I suffer with really bad shin splints so when I try to run now it fucking kills!
I'm suffering with shin splints or compartment syndrome or something similar at the minute but they are getting better, have you seen anyone about them? They shouldn't be there permanently surely???

If it was me, I would increase the milage a bit; but I disagree that he should increase it by 'quite a bit'. He's only training for a short distance but wants to get a better time. So although putting in the miles will certainly benefit, I'd focus more on speed work.
Personally, I think until you are doing more than 30 miles a week, adding more miles will get you better results than speed work.
He doesn't just want to improve his time a bit. He wants to go sub 40. To do that he will probably need to add in speed work, but mileage would be more beneficial at this point.
If he added in another 5 miles a week, that would get him a better time in his next race than if he did the same distance but did one of his runs quicker.

I suppose we're using vague language, hence the confusion. I wouldn't consider 5 miles to be 'quite a bit,' but yes, I agree that it would be beneficial in this case.

I suppose we're using vague language, hence the confusion. I wouldn't consider 5 miles to be 'quite a bit,' but yes, I agree that it would be beneficial in this case.
Neither would I. I used the 5 miles as a possible add on at this stage instead of adding speed work for now. Long term, if he is thinking of going for sub 40 I would suggest he would need at least 40 miles a week of which some would be speed work, possibly alternating intervals with tempo runs depending on how many days those miles were spread over.

30 miles a week! Bloody hell. There are some fitties out there.

Just back from first 5k for over 12 months, 36 mins...oh dear. Funny how quickly you lose your fitness when you don't run for a bit.

Bores me stupid tbh, i use to run for the school back in the 80s, competing against other schools and even county level, but fuk me it bores me stupid so now i just Skate,nowhere near as tedius imo and i love skating too, so all good. Well done to the op btw.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.