Attacks in Paris

Radio 4's World at One had a very interesting guy on, who was a Professor of French Studies (or something like that) but he made some very good points about the situation in France, pointing out that France has been hit many times in the past mainly by people of Algerian descent, and it's a peculiarly French problem, it seems the fall out from the Algerian war of independence and the basic French and Algerian dislike for each other from what was a very nasty war by all accounts, he was saying that many of the tactics used were used in that war the Algerian community is the most marginalised in France

The Algerian one is a strange one. There are many Algerians with dual French nationality, Zidane of course is of Algerian heritage.

But there are very clear divisions there, and there are groups pledging allegiance to IS in Algeria as of now. Wasn't that long ago a French backpacker was captured and beheaded by such a group in Algeria. The Charlie Hebdo killers were of Algerian descent too.

First time we played at the Nou Camp I met a really sound French Algerian, he was staying at our hostel and although he was a practicing Muslim we had him drinking with us and he was buying us drinks and likewise we were buying him drinks. I specifically recall him bemoaning the fact that he gets told off by his sister when he drinks haha.

Europe is a melting pot now and it has its positives and its drawbacks. It's a real shame though that the ordinary well adjusted people from all different ethnic and religious groups are drawn into the hate so readily and easily. It's a quagmire at the moment and I don't see that changing in the short to medium term unfortunately, I don't know what the solution is.

You just love blaming it on the refugees don't you? You try to dismiss everyone else's opinion whilst for I g yours, subtly, as fact.
The French allowed hundreds back into their own country having gone to Syria to 'fight'. There's the issue, not some random refugee who could quite easily have drowned as actually made it to France.
But that doesn't seem to fit into your, or other racists, narrative that we must do everything to exterminate refugees

Pathetic response.

I can honestly say I have never seen a post on Bluemoon taking about negotiating with ISIS I would love to know who these posters are. Once radicalised these people have to be killed or captured, the threat from them has to be eliminated and we have to destroy their networks, camps, weapons.

but as has been shown by the last 15 years this will count for nothing if we don't also do something to stop their funding (including coming down hard on our allies from where much of it comes). It will count for nothing if we don't defeat their ideas by denying them Islam to hide behind. Unless we cut off the head of the Caliphate and if we don't destroy the roots and seeds.

We need to fight fire with fire yes but not fire alone as it doesn't work, we also have to deny oxygen to the fire, we need water on the fire and we need to remove the flammable material.

I suspect he is referring to my posts, EB, in which I expressed the view that in 1973 the chance of a settlement with the IRA must have seemed as remote as a negotiated peace with radical Islam seems today. The posts do not say, as you would expect, 'let's get round a table with ISIS right now'. They do say that in the (very) long term, unlikely as it may currently seem, negotiation is more likely to lead to a lasting settlement than anything else because neither side can prevail in asymmetric warfare. Once you have ruled out the impossible, that which remains, however improbable, must provide the answer. Basic logic, but that doesn't seem to be the strongest suit of some posters.

The Algerian one is a strange one. There are many Algerians with dual French nationality, Zidane of course is of Algerian heritage.

But there are very clear divisions there, and there are groups pledging allegiance to IS in Algeria as of now. Wasn't that long ago a French backpacker was captured and beheaded by such a group in Algeria. The Charlie Hebdo killers were of Algerian descent too.

First time we played at the Nou Camp I met a really sound French Algerian, he was staying at our hostel and although he was a practicing Muslim we had him drinking with us and he was buying us drinks and likewise we were buying him drinks. I specifically recall him bemoaning the fact that he gets told off by his sister when he drinks haha.

Europe is a melting pot now and it has its positives and its drawbacks. It's a real shame though that the ordinary well adjusted people from all different ethnic and religious groups are drawn into the hate so readily and easily. It's a quagmire at the moment and I don't see that changing in the short to medium term unfortunately, I don't know what the solution is.

I have seen a few on here.

Why should "religious belief" be respected? Serious question.

I ask because I am really, really, tired of religious people asserting that their beliefs should be respected. It is perfectly possible to respect an individual, while thinking their Sunday habits are rather peculiar. "That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

Associating "aggressive materialist culture" with atheism and only with atheism is a common defensive ploy of the religious and has no basis in fact.
Because no one knows if religion exists or not, no one knows if science is right or not and if they pretend to they are tunnel visioned and are the same. I know aethiests who are every bit as arrogant, tunnel visioned and righteous as more solidly religious people I know. I don't particularly like those people who don't understand science and still sneer at religious people every bit as much as I find strongly religious people who espouse views I believe to be abhorrent.

Extremism of all ilks is the problem not the solution

You're not the first racist to dismiss the posts without discourse

I am afraid - nay ashamed at times - to note that far too many people in this world are of the

" Round 'em up, Put 'em in a field and Bomb the bastards " persuasion. Far too few appear to consider the consequences of that action and conveniently forget that a lack of proper planning by Bliar and Bush left the power vacuum in Iraq that basically poured petrol on an already raging fire.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.