Correcting An Obvious Mistake

Referees/umpires, etc, make decisions in most sports. The fact that their decisions can be challenged, and in many cases, overturned, means that they DO get it wrong occasionally.
What you seem to be advocating is that, rightly or wrongly, the referee in this "beautiful game" is the sole arbiter. If that was to be the case, we might as well scrap all the review panels we have for such things as sendings off, mistaken identity, et al, as the referee made his decision on the pitch, AND THAT DECISION IS FINAL. It's a scary road to go down, though.
With the standard of referee we seem to get week in, week out, I, and many others, will quickly fall out of love with football if that is the way forward.
I take it that you are merely continuing your devil's advocate position on this point, as you do in the "media bias" thread. If so, it IS an alternative point of view and it is certainly thought provoking. If you are serious, then I really question your judgement, bearing in mind what we have witnessed in the past few weeks from"incompetent" (and I'm being nice there) officials.

Just thought I'd throw it in and see what people thought. It isn't necessarily my view. It is, in fact, a direct quote given by Fernando after the Everton game. It is interesting to note, that a player of a team supposedly denied week after week, thinks that the game would lose something by going down this route. Referees can (and do) make mistakes but then so do players and this where the double standards are the greatest. For example, why did Joe Hart drop the ball at the feet of Cameron Jerome, in the Norwich game? Incompetence or being bent would be the answer, if he was a referee but it's just a mistake as he's a player.

Video replay for penalties, and red cards are a must,just don't have webb doing it as he couldn't see a stonewall pen if it smacked him in the mush as he has proved the last couple of weeks on bt
It must be done and soon

I actually don't think we should introduce video technology, in my opinion it has to be the referee who makes the decision on the pitch.
That's what gives football its beauty. It doesn't matter that sometimes they make mistakes – it's all part of a beautiful game.
These things should always be decisions for referees to make, even when they don't get it right.

That option was covered, if the powers that be decided so, by making the on-pitch referee the sole arbiter of a decision, however, simply giving him alone, the benefit of the replays that we all see, (possibly on 4th officials pitchside monitor, before deciding his ultimate decision

What if the ref 'genuinely'(ha ha) thought it was not a foul and thus did not award a 'conditional pen'?

The implication is, that as long as the referee was prepared to consider that a foul had been committed, he should award a conditional penalty, and then review it

The implication is, that as long as the referee was prepared to consider that a foul had been committed, he should award a conditional penalty, and then review it

I get the implication, to a degree. But there would need to be an appeal sytem for the fouled player or the opportunity for a 4th official to overrule the referee

A bit off-topic but it always annoys me when managers/pundits bang on about the 'benefit of the doubt to the attaker' - why do they assume the ref/linesman was ever in any doubt. They might be right, they might be wrong but no-one will ever know if he doubted himself, hey do they always assume there was doubt. And if there was a ruling for offside, we would finally do away with terms like 'just on' or 'just off'

I think we need a system whereby the referee/assistant is penalised for bad decisions and rewarded for being "honest". I think that officials should be on a performance related pay scale.
After each game both teams should be able to submit contentious decisions which would be reviewed by an independent panel of football experts. We are all aware that officials are human and can make mistakes so there would need to be a median performance level in place, any official who makes more mistakes than the median would be docked a certain amount of their money. This amount would be dependant on how far he falls below the median, likewise if an official performs better than the median then his payment is raised correspondingly.
I believe this method would not only reward the good officials, but also, indicates which ones are consistently poor (or bent).

Perhaps we should have another official stood behind the goal................. oh wait. The point has been made by a number of posters about video technology, why would they overrule their mate ? that twunt doesn't even do it sat in a studio being paid by a private company so why would the 4th official over rule his mate that he works with.
I believe the idiot new it was a penalty but at the same time he knew it was the last kick of the game and so he bottled it. To be honest I would rather have a cheat than someone so timid as to be afraid to make a decision.

Perhaps we should have another official stood behind the goal................. oh wait. The point has been made by a number of posters about video technology, why would they overrule their mate ? that twunt doesn't even do it sat in a studio being paid by a private company so why would the 4th official over rule his mate that he works with.
I believe the idiot new it was a penalty but at the same time he knew it was the last kick of the game and so he bottled it. To be honest I would rather have a cheat than someone so timid as to be afraid to make a decision.

Video officials in US sports overrule referees/umpires all the time. I don't think that's a problem. The biggest problem I see is the "continuation" of dynamic play in footy. I like the idea of a manager's challenge once a match or a conditional penalty idea. In hockey when a foul occurs, the referee raises his hand and if the fouled team has the puck, they continue playing and can actually put an extra attacker on the ice until the offending team reagins control of the puck. At that moment, play stops and the foul is awarded. So there are creative solutions.

I agree completely that in East's case he just bottled it completely. If there are 20, 15 or even 10 minutes left in the match he blows the whistle. In the 93rd minute, he was too cowardly to impact the outcome. Referees are semi-human too.

Is football the only example, where there is no attempt to correct an obvious mistake, and no course of re-dress.

I am a newsagent, and i make my living delivering newspapers, if i deliver the wrong newspaper, or miss a customer completely, i do not take the view that it is not a problem,as most of the time, most of my customers will get the right paper, and it will balance out over the year.

Equally for example "i accept you say you ordered 2 pints of lager, but i thought you said a large wine, get over it, its still an alcoholic drink, it will balance out over the night" Don't think many people would find that acceptable.

"sorry we counted the votes wrong, and announced the wrong winner" - as a result the Monster Raving Looney Party will form the next government - but it can get sorted at the next election.

"sorry our referee f*cked up (again), but we can't do anything about it, you can always beat them next time you play them, and so what if the wrong team win our league / cup"

I could go on, but when oh when will football do something to correct an obvious mistake, or at least try its best to get the right decision / result as often as possible. Unless of course the powers that be are happy with "hand of god" goals deciding world cup matches. Next thing someone will suggest that FIFA are protecting vested interests, and may even be corrupt.

Sticking specifically to sport, is there another sport that is so ready to accept wrong decisions with no more than a shrug, and "it evens out over the...." ?

I
America Football. All day every day. The talkshow mainly talk about ref mistakes :)

Hing is, if video tech is like that prick raggy webb on bt then it will make no difference. He would try and tell you that the sky is green ffs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.