Nicolas Otamendi - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Joey Hart

Hi guys not able to start a new thread so just bumped this one.

For me I thought Otamendi was outstanding last season with all things considered. He was fresh into a new league and a new side that was terrible for most parts of the year, he showed serious class most of the season for me but the odd brainfart too... I can handle that though as I realise that's how he plays the game.

He's fast for a CB fearless in the air and is completely off the cuff jumping into tackles that he has no right to win, he's great with the ball at his feet too. I think this is the season that we actually realise how lucky we are to have a CB of his quality. Will be a superstar under Pep.

For me I thought Otamendi was outstanding last season with all things considered. He was fresh into a new league and a new side that was terrible for most parts of the year, he showed serious class most of the season for me but the odd brainfart too... I can handle that though as I realise that's how he plays the game.

He's fast for a CB fearless in the air and is completely off the cuff jumping into tackles that he has no right to win, he's great with the ball at his feet too. I think this is the season that we actually realise how lucky we are to have a CB of his quality. Will be a superstar under Pep.

I think he's undoubtedly a talented player, he just needs to cut out going to ground so easily.

For players coming from abroad their first season in the premier league can be really difficult. Otamendi wasn't helped by a midfield that didn't really protect the defence, as well having a different centre back partner most games. With that in mind he did pretty well all things considered last year.

Hopefully in his second season, with a better organised midfield and some consistency in the defence line up we will see the best of him.

I think it's all well and good having a CB on the front foot but he's far too rash. His positioning isn't upto much either. He needs a lot of work in my opinion.

Agree with the comments above, he needs to cut out the lunge/flying tackle. He gave away many free-kicks last year because of this, surprising really as I thought he would have much more intelligent than he has been so far.

Fully agree with all of this.

Amazes me that people will tolerate the flaws in Otamendi’s game but when it comes to Mangala every wobble means he is simply not good enough.

I like both players but I don’t see a massive gap between them. Mangala is a beast and he has pace to go with it but he has lacked confidence on the ball and has had the odd wobble defensively. Otamendi is a very aggressive centre back and is always forcing defenders into errors which is great but he dives in way too often and makes regular mistakes as a result, he could also do with being more assertive in the air. He is ok on the ball but he is no Maldini!

Not a lot between the two!

Amazes me that people will tolerate the flaws in Otamendi’s game but when it comes to Mangala every wobble means he is simply not good enough.

I like both players but I don’t see a massive gap between them. Mangala is a beast and he has pace to go with it but he has lacked confidence on the ball and has had the odd wobble defensively. Otamendi is a very aggressive centre back and is always forcing defenders into errors which is great but he dives in way too often and makes regular mistakes as a result, he could also do with being more assertive in the air. He is ok on the ball but he is no Maldini!

Not a lot between the two!
Here's my thoughts:
If there's ever a 1 on 1 situation with only 1 defender in front of the keeper against 1 opposition player, Mangala would be the winner here over Otamendi.

But on a team setting, defending as a team, Mangala's awareness is lacking compared to Otamendi, despite Otamendi's eagerness to be an aggresive tackler.

But with that in mind, when you're already defending 1 on 1, most of the time you're fucked anyway, doesn't matter if you have Bonucci or Maldini defending. Most of the time, the offensive player is going to win, simple as that.

That is why I prefer Otamendi than Mangala, and I still haven't gone into the passing/ball-playing skills, which Mangala just don't have.

I love Mangala believe he can be a world class defender, just not in Pep's system.

I think if Otter spends as much time diving in or on his arse this season he'll be sitting next to Pep on the bench.
Pellegrini tolerated some things that Pep will outlaw immediately.

For me I thought Otamendi was outstanding last season with all things considered.
Easily pleased then. I was extremely underwhelmed by him last season. Gave the ball away loads and inexplicably kept stepping up into midfield, leaving everyone else behind him woefully exposed. And the less said about him constantly going to ground, the better.

I hope you're right about him becoming a superstar under Pep but he's got a lot of improving to do in my opinion. He knows what the league is all about now, so no more excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.