Aguero banned for three games (updated)

I think there are two distinct issues there.

1) The use of any technology than can improve the gathering of factual evidence (including video replays)
2) How subjective evidence (also including video replays) is interpreted in a retrospective manner

I think Rugby does a great job with video evidence, and the referee spells out all the factors he's looking at - I don't think it detracts from the game, and it's every bit as fast as football.
I don't think technology has detracted from Rugby, Tennis or Cricket. I'm happy with the progress.

But then there's this issue of subjective evidence. Intent is hard to prove, and we have commentators making assumptions like 'if he forms a fist, then it's an intentional elbow' - and yet lots of people form a fist when exerting energy - like a short sprint or jumping, or bracing themselves. We have so much footage, it would be almost impossible to review everything - which begs the question, how did the FA come to review Aguero? what was the process? Did they look at every match and make a list of incidents to investigate? Did they receive a complaint from West Ham? Or did the media shove it in their faces and force the issue?

I would like to see a 'on report' style system where a ref can signal that an incident needs to be looked at at the earliest opportunity. The entire crowd should know this during the game. Whilst the game continues, a 3 man panel review the evidence and decide if the ref needs to review it. If he does, at the next break in play, he reviews the footage and makes a final decision. Otherwise, that's the end of the matter. Basically the panel are checking if there's anything at all to seriously review - but the ref still has the final say. It happens there and then, not days later after the media have gone to town.
I agree completely.

Retrospective charges should only be a thing when serious breaches have taken place like CLEAR indisputable violent conduct that has been missed - the type of things you don't want young kids picking up from the pros. Anything else should be challenged within the game (e.g. Reid asking his manager to challenge the ref to a video replay). Video replays need only be a monitor for the 4th official by the tunnel/benches that he can easily get prompt review footage on and feedback to the ref via his earpiece (takes some of the huge responsibility off the ref's shoulders to get everything right).

I also think offsides should be able to be challenged via video replay (like 2 video challenges per team per game to be used). Tottenham scored 4 goals against us last season over 2 matches through clear offsides the incompetent linesmen missed (resulting in 2 wins for them that otherwise wouldn't have been). There is just too much money and too much riding on the game nowadays and the difference between each place in the table - particularly if that is a CL/Europa spot or survival vs. relegation. It would not be a problem in slowing the game down - particularly now players harassing the refs has been stamped out now. Battenberg slows the game down every 5 mins to get himself on camera anyway through pulling a player aside.

Total travesty he's getting a ban for this. Marriner "didn't see it" yeah and my real name is Cecil Artichoke & I live in a wooden shack just on the periphery of Pembrokeshire.

FA wankers.

so with it looking on the cards he'll get banned I'm guessing it's all about intent, as the actual contact looks minimal ....

When will the verdict be announced?
Some one mentioned above about it being about "intent" . The intent here has been the rag press being intent on stirring up a shit storm so the authorities have had to be seen to act.

Yes manure didnt do us no favours by the fans stirring it up on social media but at the end of the day aguero only has himself to blame,while the contact was little it all comes down to intent. Im hoping his good record comes into play and its only a 1 match ban.

hope Nacho can fill Kun's shoe.
Pep have 2 weeks to prepare for this.
hope all 3 new signing ready for derby.

Is there any right of appeal? If so, it might get him IN the derby, even if he gets 4 matches after that!

BTW, I see MOST of the media has already said he is banned, even though no hearing yet! Is it fair accompli, just because they are having a hearing?

Is there any right of appeal? If so, it might get him IN the derby, even if he gets 4 matches after that!

BTW, I see MOST of the media has already said he is banned, even though no hearing yet! Is it fair accompli, just because they are having a hearing?

Not sure that anyone has successfully defended one of these charges. It just doesn't happen. It stinks that the same people charging are the same people hearing the charge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.