City v Boro post match

Feels like we're dropping more silly points than we did last year, but also feel like we have a chance in the big matches this year that I never felt we had last year. Personally have always maintained this is a transition year & anything above a top 4 finish is a bonus - and sadly still feel this way, Liverpool & Chelsea can focus purely on the PL week in week out, that's a massive advantage & one I see them taking.

We're not exactly performing badly in these draws, we're just not finishing games off as everyone else has said, added to conceding nearly every chance the opposition has as usual isn't an ideal scenario for getting wins. Need to find our ruthless streak.

Saying that we're still in with a shout, if we perform like we did against Barca against Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal etc. there's no reason we don't beat these sides, and that's likely what we're going to have to do if we want to win the title this season. Big month next month, let's see where we stand come the turn of the year then I think we'll have more idea what a likely outcome for the season is.

You'll just get shouted down by those who can't handle the reality of the situation.

The reality of the situation - for anyone interested - is that this forum would be virtually free of this melodramatic bullshit if not for a single header in injury time.
I totally agree with this statement. I do have a real concern with the lack of goals from chances created though. However, the fact is we really should have been saying ah well, not a great game but a 1-0 is a1-0.

Those comparing where we are in the league with last season aren't doing anything wrong, but sometimes you have to go backwards to move forwards.
Given we're learning Pep's way of doing things, there's going to be some mistakes along the way and that can result in us going 'backwards' in points tallies, but hopefully once it gels we'll move further forwards than ever before.

However, we shouldn't just blindly assume all will be well - that would be complacency at its worst. We still have to work hard at getting better, and Pep himself still has plenty to learn too.

I know, but there is a trend now that after Champions League games we struggle in Premiership:

Celtic away. Go and get overwhelmed at Spurs
Barcelona away: return and draw at home to Saints
Barce at home: Drop points to a Boro team who scarcely crossed the half-way line.

Champions League is playing a part. Guardiola doesn't seem to trust players like Kelechi, Nolito, Sane etc but those players need to start after games in Europe.

There certainly is a pattern, not much we can do about it though other than tough it out and beat our title rivals when we play them. Liverpool and Chelsea have the luxury of no Europe but they will hit sticky patches at some point.

Show me a side in world football that isnt susceptible to a set piece/cross Marv.

You cant because one doesn't exist and never will.

He brings Kompany on and he either pushes into midfield or replaces a CB. The goal came from Clichy not doing his job and the addition of Vinny would have changed nothing.
Well yes, there's always risk, even to a team of giants, but Boro came with a game plan: stay in the game until the death then gamble. We knew what was coming and their chief threat was going to be the high ball into the box against the smallest team in the premiership. There were two ways of handling that: get the 2nd goal, and put Kompany on for Clichy.

We were close to getting a 2nd eg Aguero's miss but I think Guardiola made some mistakes with starting line up and subs

If Mourinho, Wenger etc are responsible for failure then they deserve criticism. You seem to undermine your own point.

I bet Guardiola is extremely self-critical and I think the team and subs could have been set up better and used better.

At 1-0, only chance Boro had was a high ball into the box. I said that at KO. Only way Boro would score was from a set-piece and that is effectively what happened. At 80 mins, Kompany should have been on to reduce that threat. Nolito and Kelechi should also have come on a lot earlier. Team was tired and needed fresh legs.

Pep made mistakes yesterday I never said he didn't.

Let me ask you a question since you seem so quick to defend the right to criticise. Do you think Pep Guardiola is intelligent enough to learn from what he sees happening to his teams on the pitch ?

I sit up in the gods in the east stand,I was royally pi,,ed of with the ref first half.from the third tier the game looks like chess,and the number of times the ref,s positioning got in the way of the city passing game was beyond a joke .Thought it was a novel way to interfere with the flow of the game
I ask did fans in 301/4 notice anything wrong with his positioning.

We noticed it in 305: happened a few times in first half.

Comparing Bell with Silva. That's the lack of knowledge/football intelligence I'm referring to.

The only comparison to make is about their quality. They are totally different players.

I've had the privilege to talk to Colin Bell about the comparison about 12 months ago. He said they were nothing like each other playing wise but from a quality/skill point of view he said Silva was far better. Silva is in his opinion is the best City player..ever. He's not Silva's mate he's Colin Bell.
Sorry but Silva's lack of goals means that this is hard to agree with. He is not even creating goals at the moment. KDB is far more effective. Personally I think he needs to step it up because with our style of play now he has to contribute more.

Well yes, there's always risk, even to a team of giants, but Boro came with a game plan: stay in the game until the death then gamble. We knew what was coming and their chief threat was going to be the high ball into the box against the smallest team in the premiership. There were two ways of handling that: get the 2nd goal, and put Kompany on for Clichy.

We were close to getting a 2nd eg Aguero's miss but I think Guardiola made some mistakes with starting line up and subs

The answer is and always will be, take our chances and put the game out of sight fella.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.