TV Licence

I find it amazing that the BBC gets so much bad press - it's the greatest media organisation in the world in my opinion. There's something for everyone across its channels, it's brilliant radio stations and website. People don't like paying for it until they realise there is no alternative to watching the utter dross that Sky and ITV pump out 24/7.

Yeah a bit like the old sayings that the UK has the best health service, the best education system, the best politicians etc etc etc which we know to be bollocks when the sacred cow veneer is stripped away.
The likes of Netflix, Sky, Virgin, Fox are producing as good, if not better TV than the BBC. As for Channel 4 - it's out on it's own.
Why do we need all these regional radio shows when equivalents are available, that is if anyone listens to them anymore. And as for BBC3 and BBC4 which turn over hours and hours of Family Guy only to line the pockets of the producers is incomprehensible!

Yeah a bit like the old sayings that the UK has the best health service, the best education system, the best politicians etc etc etc which we know to be bollocks when the sacred cow veneer is stripped away.
The likes of Netflix, Sky, Virgin, Fox are producing as good, if not better TV than the BBC. As for Channel 4 - it's out on it's own.
Why do we need all these regional radio shows when equivalents are available, that is if anyone listens to them anymore. And as for BBC3 and BBC4 which turn over hours and hours of Family Guy only to line the pockets of the producers is incomprehensible!
It doesn't show hours and hours of Family Guy anymore, but I take your point. Sky and Virgin don't produce anything - they just buy the best of what the USA makes (basically any HBO programming they can get their hands on). Netflix is still £80 per annum (more if you want 4 screens and 4k) and it's 90% crap, but they do make some good stuff now, I'll give you that. I partially agree on the local stations, although BBC London is pretty good if you're ever that way. The national stations are the business though - 6 Music and Radio 4 especially. Also Channel 4 does receive licence fee money but it's complimented by a commercial arm.

It doesn't show hours and hours of Family Guy anymore, but I take your point. Sky and Virgin don't produce anything - they just buy the best of what the USA makes (basically any HBO programming they can get their hands on). Netflix is still £80 per annum (more if you want 4 screens and 4k) and it's 90% crap, but they do make some good stuff now, I'll give you that. I partially agree on the local stations, although BBC London is pretty good if you're ever that way. The national stations are the business though - 6 Music and Radio 4 especially. Also Channel 4 does receive licence fee money but it's complimented by a commercial arm.

Channel 4 doesn't receive a penny from the license fee. It's been set up as a commercial entity.

I'm guessing you agree with paying Claudia Winkleman £500k a year then?

Channel 4 doesn't receive a penny from the license fee. It's been set up as a commercial entity.

I'm guessing you agree with paying Claudia Winkleman £500k a year then?
I don't have an opinion on her. She presents the one of the most highly viewed and best loved shows on TV, which probably means she can demand a salary like that. I don't watch that show myself but I can understand why they'd pay her that if 10m+ others do. I'm sure someone like Jeff Stelling on Sky earns far more than Claudia Winklemen and has a viewership of around 10% of what she does. Carol Vordoman was being paid £900k in 2008 to present Countdown...

I don't have an opinion on her. She presents the one of the most highly viewed and best loved shows on TV, which probably means she can demand a salary like that. I don't watch that show myself but I can understand why they'd pay her that if 10m+ others do. I'm sure someone like Jeff Stelling on Sky earns far more than Claudia Winklemen and has a viewership of around 10% of what she does. Carol Vordoman was being paid £900k in 2008 to present Countdown...

Vorderman was sacked due to wage demands. Winkleman isn't the main presenter of strictly (it's tess daly btw) she adds nothing to the program so why waste £500k on her when anyone could do the job she is doing for a fraction of the cost?

Vorderman was sacked due to wage demands. Winkleman isn't the main presenter of strictly (it's tess daly btw) she adds nothing to the program so why waste £500k on her when anyone could do the job she is doing for a fraction of the cost?
I don't know pal, I don't work for the BBC or know what every TV presenter around gets paid. Why don't you send in a show reel? Anyway, I'm happy to pay my licence fee; Claudia Winkleman included or otherwise.

i'm a regular law breaker with this one, i watch live tv all the time and do not have a licence and have saved to date around £1500, not my problem 'its the BBCs', if they dont like me watching their stuff then simply stop piping it to me

I don't watch TV, ever, no catch up or no iPlayer. I spend more on films than the cost of the TV License on Amazon Prime. I hope the BBC goes bust.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.