Resting players against the rags

You're missing the point.

Clearly a league and cup double will be brilliant (and I didn't intend to suggest otherwise). At the start of this season, let alone 10 years ago, we would all have been well pleased with it.

But with the season we've had, and the potential for it to be great, I think everyone deserves something a little bit more than to match an achievement we've already done. Winning the title vs the rags, whilst probably not important to Pep, will be something that will go down in our club's folklore.

Hi mate, apologies if i missed your point but i thought you and one or two others on here were suggesting that unless we beat the rags on Saturday and Liverpool next week then the season will have only been a good one and not a great one. It was on this point that i would have to agree to disagree. I don't know maybe it's my age (53) and some of the dross i've watched in the past but the day i treat a league and cup double as a disappointment will be a sad day, however it comes about!

Having said all that and for the record, i hope we play full strength on Saturday and win the league in the second best possible way (Aguero's cant be beaten for me) then that would make a GREAT season a GREAT GREAT season :)

Ye of little faith. We can absolutely beat Liverpool by the margin we need to.

Rest the players Pep and that's one more advantage we'll have over the scouse scum. We need to take all of the advantages we can get. They will have critical players missing and if we score two goals, I can see them mentally capitulating and playing very messy. They won't know how to handle it.

The rags game isn't shit. Let's set our team up for success to win the bigger stakes....and that's the Liverpool game.
Agree completely.

Winning the league against United would be one of our greatest days ever. We won't get another chance like this to rub their noses in it.
We will be in the CL next year anyway.

Agree completely.

WOW!

put out a weakened side, lose to the rags, play our strongest / best 11 on tuesday, (play great, beat them 4- 1) go out on away goals. Saturday narrowly lose to a very focused Spurs side. So thats "sort of losing" four in a row.

Not such a good plan really is it?

Stuff the rags, win the league, gain confidence and give it our best Tuesday, (unlikely, but possible), then set benchmarks that will last a lifetime)

It isn’t ten years ago though.

Our SeasonCards are twice as expensive now, dozens of our mates were priced out or moved from their seats and never renewed... that makes us all more demanding. Plus we’ve set a marker down at times this season and for Pep and the team to take backwards steps won’t just mean a small anti-climax for this season but it shows signs of weakness, not putting our foot on anyone’s necks and keeping them below us would be a mistake.

Arsenal went unbeaten in 2004 for 49 games and won the league. They also lost to Boro in the League Cup semis, to United in the FA Cup semi and to Chelsea in the Champions League quarters and lost what would have been their 50th unbeaten game to United at Old Trafford and then Chelsea won the league in better style than Arsenal did. Arsenal haven’t challenged for the title since because everyone saw weaknesses and nobody has taken them seriously since.

They had a chance to become a dynasty back then but all they won was the league in 2002 and 2004 and the FA Cup in 2005, with that fantastic team, that was it!

Yes winning the Premier League and League Cup double is fantastic. But you should never ever settle for fantastic because things do not last forever and signs of weakness means they last less long.

Maybe i'm showing signs of weakness then but a Fantastic league and cup double will do for me. I think a combination of the media hype and the way we have blown teams away this season has brainwashed some of you into thinking we were actually going to complete the quadruple and that anything less is a disappointment.

We have lost a game of football at Anfield (shock horror) against a team of men possessed and roared on by 57,000 recent success starved fans and some of you are losing the plot. These were extenuating circumstances and will hopefully be a learning curve for this great team. We move on and god willing win the league on Saturday!

COYB's!!

WOW!

put out a weakened side, lose to the rags, play our strongest / best 11 on tuesday, (play great, beat them 4- 1) go out on away goals. Saturday narrowly lose to a very focused Spurs side. So thats "sort of losing" four in a row.

Not such a good plan really is it?

Stuff the rags, win the league, gain confidence and give it our best Tuesday, (unlikely, but possible), then set benchmarks that will last a lifetime)

Spot on. We’ll have more chance on Tuesday if we go in as champions flying on the back of a confidence boosting dry bumming of the rags. The players won’t be tired cos the Adrenalin will be pumping through their bodies

Gundogan doesnt look fit and hasnt all season hes been a big dissapointment for me.
Me too. I've been saying this for ages but have had loads of stick for it here. He's not up to scratch imo. His decision making is piss poor at times.
I'm sure he looked great playing for Dortmund in the Bundersliga but if City sold him would Bayern, Barca, Real, PSG.....be interested in him? No chance! Arsenal might have him, he's about their current standard.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.