Northern Rail

Show me the Pacers running between Marylebone and Aylesbury.

Show me the equivalent of Metrolink in London. They get Crossrail at a cost of ££££££££££££££s and we get a tram "service" that barely functions at peak hours.

Yes I know there are problems in the South, it gets blazoned all over the papers and BBC. Funnily you don't get the same coverage for the North as no-one with power and influence gives a shit.

Northern Rail can't possibly be "useless". They are a member of the highly efficient private sector that is so much better than the public sector in every way. They wouldn't pay their Directors big bucks if they were "useless", would they?
Agree to some extent.
The Northern Rail train I have stopped getting from Burnley, either east or west, was invariably late or a bus replacement.
The last three weeks I've been working in Hertfordshire and using Thameslink to get around.
What a difference! Smooth new trains with open carriages and wifi with automatically opening doors.
It's like we're stuck with a trabant whilst the southerners have a Merc.

Agree to some extent.
The Northern Rail train I have stopped getting from Burnley, either east or west, was invariably late or a bus replacement.
The last three weeks I've been working in Hertfordshire and using Thameslink to get around.
What a difference! Smooth new trains with open carriages and wifi with automatically opening doors.
It's like we're stuck with a trabant whilst the southerners have a Merc.

Funnily enough the 30 year old - ex Thameslink trains have been shipped up here on the Liverpool Manchester route - while Thameslink gets a £1billion new fleet. The north south divide in transport spending is a disgrace.

I get the train every home game from Rochdale.
99 % of the time they are on time ish.
Sometimes I'm on the old crap rolling stock with bus seats in but I'm not bothered as long as I get into Victoria.
I only got pissed off a few times.
Mainly when they are on strike because modern technology can do the job of an halfwit who holds a whistle.
Then again I see a few of them over the season so I guess it evens itself out

this is incorrect .....

I don't have a problem with guardless trains as long as the stations are manned to help people get on and off trains keep everyone safe etc

I don't have a problem with unmanned stations as long as there is a guard on the train to help people get on and off trains keep everyone safe etc

I do have a problem with unmanned stations and guardless trains simply to make more profit ...... technology doesn't help a wheelchair user get on and off a train

this is incorrect .....

I don't have a problem with guardless trains as long as the stations are manned to help people get on and off trains keep everyone safe etc

I don't have a problem with unmanned stations as long as there is a guard on the train to help people get on and off trains keep everyone safe etc

I do have a problem with unmanned stations and guardless trains simply to make more profit ...... technology doesn't help a wheelchair user get on and off a train
Indeed.

Also,what of the situations where passengers are assaulted/abused/taken ill? or the driver collapses in the cab? or in an emergency there is no safety trained employee to aid with the initial confusion and panic and then help with the subsequent necessary fallout/protocol? who deals with onboard faults between stations or alerts the driver/control to potential issues or damage to the train?

A second,fully trained,safety focused and competent person is essential on every train.Just one incident that could be better dealt with by such an individual is enough to justify their presence.

Show me the Pacers running between Marylebone and Aylesbury.

Show me the equivalent of Metrolink in London. They get Crossrail at a cost of ££££££££££££££s and we get a tram "service" that barely functions at peak hours.

Yes I know there are problems in the South, it gets blazoned all over the papers and BBC. Funnily you don't get the same coverage for the North as no-one with power and influence gives a shit.

Northern Rail can't possibly be "useless". They are a member of the highly efficient private sector that is so much better than the public sector in every way. They wouldn't pay their Directors big bucks if they were "useless", would they?

Manchester has absolutely nowhere near the population nor size of London, considering you can walk from one side of the city centre to the other (I lived in the city centre on Blackfriars street and castlefield for 5 years) it really doesn’t need an underground. The metro-link is fine.

I get the tram every single morning, I seem to get on it ok and don’t have problems. There’s the odd delay but that happens in most places.

Northern rail are useless from a customer usuage point of view. That’s obvious. They may not be useless at lining the boss’s back pockets but that wasn’t my point was it? Im not sure why you’re taking the argument away from that.

Believe it or not I’m for the nationalisation of the railways.

I really couldn't give a rat's knackers on the age of the rolling stock. . The Rocket could turn up for me.
I don't give a flying fuck if Thomas Telford is driving it.
And I wouldn't notice if the fat controller himself was the guard.
All I'm bothered about is it being on time.

I really couldn't give a rat's knackers on the age of the rolling stock. . The Rocket could turn up for me.

If the rolling stock was newer it wouldn’t break down so often would be on time more often.

Moved to Chorley in 2009, I can't remember a whole season where i have had trains available to and back from Manchester. Bus replacement is the norm and there useless, 30 mins by train turns into 90+ mins by bus. Northern Rail Sux.

and as long as thats all that bothers you and you don't include a complaint about cost they will continue as is ......... they will probably find some way of presenting that view as being from someone who considers the train to be good value for money.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.