Northern Rail

The main problem with Northern Rail is Network Rail.
The main problem with Scotrail is Network Rail and so on.
Always found the Northern Rail employees on the whole top notch.

Railway staff on the front line actually give a fuck about the service and what the passengers (not customers as my management call them). I and others have gone out of their way to do what we can within our power only to have the rug pulled from beneath us by cowards in offices nowhere near a train station. The TOC I work for has decided to reduce capacity on his trains to a holiday resort this year and wanted traincrew "To sell it as a good thing"!

Funnily enough the 30 year old - ex Thameslink trains have been shipped up here on the Liverpool Manchester route - while Thameslink gets a £1billion new fleet. The north south divide in transport spending is a disgrace.
Over 90% of gov spending on transport is expended in the S and SE. Just sayin'.

Had an interesting chat with a staff member this evening. After 6 out of 7 of my trains were cancelled.

This is all down to overtime, to run the service northern need overtime. But are now refusing to pay. So a massive chunk of the services are driverless. It’s actually cheaper to pay the fines than pay the overtime.

Time to complain at Mp level to get northern stripped of th franchise sooner rather than later.

Had an interesting chat with a staff member this evening. After 6 out of 7 of my trains were cancelled.

This is all down to overtime, to run the service northern need overtime. But are now refusing to pay. So a massive chunk of the services are driverless. It’s actually cheaper to pay the fines than pay the overtime.

Time to complain at Mp level to get northern stripped of the franchise sooner rather than later.
As i stated on page one.

However,that's only half the story......there have been numerous occasions where the company has announced cancellations due to a lack of train crew,when in fact both members of staff have been stood on the platform waiting its arrival and being no wiser than the passengers.

This is not just unacceptable but also a safety concern,as sooner or later an angry customer will take their (legitimate) frustrations out on such staff.

You're correct,Arriva need stripping of the franchise but the conspiracist's among us believe this is exactly what they desire,and are working towards.....as again it will be the money saving option.

As i stated on page one.

However,that's only half the story......there have been numerous occasions where the company has announced cancellations due to a lack of train crew,when in fact both members of staff have been stood on the platform waiting its arrival and being no wiser than the passengers.

This is not just unacceptable but also a safety concern,as sooner or later an angry customer will take their (legitimate) frustrations out on such staff.

You're correct,Arriva need stripping of the franchise but the conspiracist's among us believe this is exactly what they desire,and are working towards.....as again it will be the money saving option.

already lost the Welsh franchise, the Northern situation is pathetic though.

My son does Liverpool to Manchester frequently. Less than £3 a trip which is great value and rarely ever late. Always says good things about them and Transpennine.

My son does Liverpool to Manchester frequently. Less than £3 a trip which is great value and rarely ever late. Always says good things about them and Transpennine.

I bet he hasn’t done it in the last 2 weeks.

And £3, how’s he managing that?

From 4pm today 10 northern trains were cancelled between Oxford road and Warrington.

Also he probably already knows but lime street is closed for the next 2 months.

Last edited:
sounds like a continuing mess today - the answer is it seems fewer trains and another new timetable on Monday. Network Rail are blaming the TOC's and Grayling threatens to have a "stern word" with them. So nobody taking proper ownership then?

Christian Woolmar just said it seem that the TOC's did their new timetable in isolation and only submitted it for approval after Network Rail's update works finished after they overran. That was 3 weeks from D-Day. I say isolation because it took no account for other TOC's using the line so they were told to go away and rewrite it. They did and assured Network Rail that they definitely probably had enough drivers. Seems they didn't but launched anyway.

Fucking madness of privatisation of so many companies involved but none of them opening lines of communication until the 11th hour. Of course the only siren voice was that of the Union but as there is an ongoing dispute over guards with them the rail companies decided not to engage with them over this either.

I bet he hasn’t done it in the last 2 weeks.

And £3, how’s he managing that?

From 4pm today 10 northern trains were cancelled between Oxford road and Warrington.

Also he probably already knows but lime street is closed for the next 2 months.

He went from Victoria to Liverpool Lime Street on Tuesday morning at 08:54 for £2.95. I've just checked on Trainline app as bank of dad pays them all.

He's not mentioned about it closing but he finished his last uni exam today so he's on a train right now to London to celebrate. I'll mention it to him as he's going back for a few get togethers (piss ups) so thanks for the heads up.

There's loads of £3 tickets to Liverpool from Victoria or Piccadilly.

4th June 10:09 £3.20
4th june 15:09 £3.20

And every day that week same time same price. The 07:09 is only £4.20 every day.

He also has a tax dodger's railcard so he would get 25% off those prices.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.