Bluemoon Angling Thread

Thanks. I'm weighing up whether it's worth it because I only get the urge to trot every now and then. Went piking on the Mersey on Saturday and blanked. Only a short session although it was surprisingly warm by the time we arrived following a full English at a local hostelry. Would have been better to arrive at dawn but couldn't be arsed.

Where on the Mersey do you fish ?

Where on the Mersey do you fish ?

I've only fished it once before because I'm not local and it isn't very scenic in the centre of Warrington. For a short session and with the canals frozen we decided it would do.

We went to Victoria Park first but couldn't find our way in so went somewhere close on the Warrington Anglers' card. Not sure of the exact spot. I think it's called Mersey Walk.

Spoke to a local matchman who said it has fished unbelievably well in matches right into January with catches of bream, roach and skimmers. Made me wish I'd taken my feeder rod.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm weighing up whether it's worth it because I only get the urge to trot every now and then. Went piking on the Mersey on Saturday and blanked. Only a short session although it was surprisingly warm by the time we arrived following a full English at a local hostelry. Would have been better to arrive at dawn but couldn't be arsed.
Got to be honest: I don’t use the pin very often at all any more because it’s so fiddly and tangly. I don’t do a lot of trotting really: grayling in winter and the odd hour in the summer for chub. So I’ve gone back to the fixed spook for simplicity. Might actually have a go this weekend on the Dane.

Fly tying in full swing. I have mates that can knock out a dozen flies in an hour and they are all identical. I get bored after tying three the same pattern so tend to mix my tying up, a few buzzers, then 3 lures and finally a couple of dries.
This morning I tied up 4 ‘Grunters’ a soft hackled dry fly that was doing well in competitions last year:
Hook : size 12 wide gape, black nickel,
Thread : dark brown or red
Butt : red holographic tinsel
Body : hare fur well mixed and then dubbed
Wing : 5 cdc feathers bunched
Hackle 1 : red game cock saddle
Hackle 2 : English partridge wound through hackle 1

Do you ever make up your own pattern of fly ?

To be honest as Yaya would say, there is little that’s brand new. I tend to tie variants on well known patterns. Just changing little things here and there.

Always thought it would be very satisfying to catch on a home-made fly.

When I was at school we had to take a science option so I took biology because, for the summer term it became a fly-fishing option where the Master, God bless him, taught us to tie flies. At the end of term he took us all to Tittesworth Reservoir where I characteristically blanked.

Fly tyi
Always thought it would be very satisfying to catch on a home-made fly.

When I was at school we had to take a science option so I took biology because, for the summer term it became a fly-fishing option where the Master, God bless him, taught us to tie flies. At the end of term he took us all to Tittesworth Reservoir where I characteristically blanked.
fly tying is almost as fun as fishing (almost). It’s also a hobby you can chuck serious cash at!
You are dead right though, there is great satisfaction at fooling a fish with your own confection. Some fantastic tutors out there if you fancy taking it up again. Davie Mcphail on YouTube is just phenomenal.

Fly tyi

fly tying is almost as fun as fishing (almost). It’s also a hobby you can chuck serious cash at!
You are dead right though, there is great satisfaction at fooling a fish with your own confection. Some fantastic tutors out there if you fancy taking it up again. Davie Mcphail on YouTube is just phenomenal.
Half of my mates are annoying fishing guides, I just take theirs

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.