Bluemoon Angling Thread

It's 3.50 a.m and I'm lying in bed listening to the fence rattling in the wind and the rain lashing on the window pane. And I planned a day gently trotting on the Dee (or was it the Severn, can't remember what I agreed with my mate) for dace, roach and chub. Why don't I ever check the weather forecast ? No wonder I never catch anything.

I'll let you know how it goes later.

wallowing in nostalgia each time i visit this thread. When i worked at the Aniline, the anglers there would visit the Dane regularly, one used to bring a sheep's heart in a biscuit tin, leave it open until it had eggs showing then add bran, close the lid and end up with big juicy maggots. First time i went the level was that low only the pool was fishable and someone on it. walked miles and blanked. Second time it was in full spate, trees and dead animals ripping down. Blanked but only stuck it for an hour. Got called jinx from then on. Did manage to fish it eventually, a few chub and an eel, but one of the lads using wasp grub had a field day with some 4 to 6lb chub. Did get some nice pics of kingfishers though. Like most hobbies of mine, the real world got in the way so involvement ebbed and flowed, and then commercials seduced me, no more blanks but maybe not as satisfying. Had some good days out with the sea-fishing lads off Anglesey, but the cod fishing trips to the north east were a pain as the weather cost us wasted trips. One trip i missed they landed a raft of cod that paid for the diesel and the charter. You lose some and you lose some more. The last straw for me was when the minibus we hired had a puncture, and we couldn't undo the wheel-nuts, waited three hours for the RAC to turn up, even worse when he told us the nuts on the left were a left-hand thread....bastard. Back in the day Mitchell reels and Milbro Enterprise rods were the weapons of choice, maybe a couple of weeks wages-ish , last time i visited a match, Cudmore , the average gear seemed to be in the thousands , k'nell. Enough rambling, tight lines an' all that.

It's 3.50 a.m and I'm lying in bed listening to the fence rattling in the wind and the rain lashing on the window pane. And I planned a day gently trotting on the Dee (or was it the Severn, can't remember what I agreed with my mate) for dace, roach and chub. Why don't I ever check the weather forecast ? No wonder I never catch anything.

I'll let you know how it goes later.
Hardcore; )

Arrived at my mate's at 07.30 and we decided on the Severn (at Uffington for those in PAAS). On arrival weather was surprisingly decent, water level normal, dry but with an upstream gale. Nevertheless, decided to stick with plan A and trot using my centrepin. Two casts in, a typical Noggs moment, the nut that acts as drag control and holds the drum on popped off, bounced once and disappeared into the murky depths.

Re-tackled with a fixed-spool, not without some cursing, and trotted a stick float in about 6ft of water for around 2 hours without a bite by which time I needed to sit down.

Put up a feeder rod, maggot feeder, 3.5lbs hooklength and 16s hook with double maggot. After an hour had a small chub and an hour later hooked a bigger one which did what big chub do and got into the main current and hung there doggo. After a bit of persuasion, I got it to the surface where, imagine my surprise when it turned out to be a barbel which I landed after it had made a couple of half-hearted attempts to avoid the net. About 5.5lbs.

Got a perch about 6 ounces on worm and that was it. Fantastic weather considering and a wonderful day's fishing snatched in January.

P.s Just priced up a replacement centrepin £299

Last edited:
Famously "hardcore", I decided yesterday was the very day for a spot of canal fishing. Didn't want to drive far so settled on the Bridgewater at Agden.

Too windy for float so set up on the tip, very light maggot feeder about 6 foot off the far bank. Blanked. At 11 my brother, mate and I were having a cup of tea and a wagon wheel (a remnant of my days as a junior in the Platt Lane end) and my mate said "if it wasn"t fir you two I wouldn't have come", to which my brother replied that if it wasn't for us two he wouldn't have come either. Turned out we all came out only because we thought the others wanted to. Anyway, gave it 4 biteless hours and called it a day.

More bad news as regards the centrepin mentioned in my last post. Emailed Adcock Stanton with photos to see if I could get a spare centre nut and they replied that Tony Adcock (!!) Retired 30 years ago and took the design for that nut with him. Sometimes I feel really old.

I don't know if it has already been mentioned, but Phil Foden is a big angler.
My daughter has a bit of a crush on him and was searching his twitter and came across some pics of him
on the Ebro with some big catfish he'd caught.

We should invite him to the thread hehe!

Arrived at my mate's at 07.30 and we decided on the Severn (at Uffington for those in PAAS). On arrival weather was surprisingly decent, water level normal, dry but with an upstream gale. Nevertheless, decided to stick with plan A and trot using my centrepin. Two casts in, a typical Noggs moment, the nut that acts as drag control and holds the drum on popped off, bounced once and disappeared into the murky depths.

Re-tackled with a fixed-spool, not without some cursing, and trotted a stick float in about 6ft of water for around 2 hours without a bite by which time I needed to sit down.

Put up a feeder rod, maggot feeder, 3.5lbs hooklength and 16s hook with double maggot. After an hour had a small chub and an hour later hooked a bigger one which did what big chub do and got into the main current and hung there doggo. After a bit of persuasion, I got it to the surface where, imagine my surprise when it turned out to be a barbel which I landed after it had made a couple of half-hearted attempts to avoid the net. About 5.5lbs.

Got a perch about 6 ounces on worm and that was it. Fantastic weather considering and a wonderful day's fishing snatched in January.

P.s Just priced up a replacement centrepin £299

I can highly recommend the centrepin I use; The Okuma Sheffield. I think it's about £150 but a really nice piece of workmanship. You've done well to get a January barbel, especially with that light gear.

I can highly recommend the centrepin I use; The Okuma Sheffield. I think it's about £150 but a really nice piece of workmanship. You've done well to get a January barbel, especially with that light gear.

Thanks. I'm weighing up whether it's worth it because I only get the urge to trot every now and then. Went piking on the Mersey on Saturday and blanked. Only a short session although it was surprisingly warm by the time we arrived following a full English at a local hostelry. Would have been better to arrive at dawn but couldn't be arsed.

Fly tying in full swing. I have mates that can knock out a dozen flies in an hour and they are all identical. I get bored after tying three the same pattern so tend to mix my tying up, a few buzzers, then 3 lures and finally a couple of dries.
This morning I tied up 4 ‘Grunters’ a soft hackled dry fly that was doing well in competitions last year:
Hook : size 12 wide gape, black nickel,
Thread : dark brown or red
Butt : red holographic tinsel
Body : hare fur well mixed and then dubbed
Wing : 5 cdc feathers bunched
Hackle 1 : red game cock saddle
Hackle 2 : English partridge wound through hackle 1

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.