Game of Thrones (season 8)

Not sure how to get that spoiler tag, but I reckon it is safe now to discuss openly.

I was not overly impressed to be honest. The dragon ride seemed unnecessary and reminded me a little bit of the "The Neverending Story" where Atreju rides the nice dragon Fuchur.

Worse the message from the Ice King came strangely out of nothing to me. Until now he just put the dead into his army, and didn't bother cutting them up. Was it just for the cheap effect? Anybody seen Fortitude Season 3? Dan Andersson/Beric Dondarion/Richard Dormer will have had memory flashbacks there I think. Does this message stuff make sense to anybody?
The dragon ride was a bit arty but it was also significant in terms of his ancestry,which may also be the case for the white walker....?

Not sure how to get that spoiler tag, but I reckon it is safe now to discuss openly.

I was not overly impressed to be honest. The dragon ride seemed unnecessary and reminded me a little bit of the "The Neverending Story" where Atreju rides the nice dragon Fuchur.

Worse the message from the Ice King came strangely out of nothing to me. Until now he just put the dead into his army, and didn't bother cutting them up. Was it just for the cheap effect? Anybody seen Fortitude Season 3? Dan Andersson/Beric Dondarion/Richard Dormer will have had memory flashbacks there I think. Does this message stuff make sense to anybody?
Very first episode of the series they cut up wildlings to make a shape. At the fist of the first men they cut up horses and bodies to make the same shape. As was stated, the shape was there in the flashback to the creation of the Night King/White Walkers by the Children of the Forest.

Never watched an episode of this, but when it all finishes, will sit down and try to watch the lot.
That's if it grabs me.

For reasons I can't explain, I avoided it until the end of the last series when there seemed to be so much fuss about the penultimate, IIRC, episode that I thought I'd take a look. Immediately started watching the whole thing from the start as Sky were rerunning several episodes a weekend. It definitely grabbed me.

Thought last night was all about reintroducing the main characters and putting the pieces in place; which was fine.

I did agree with an earlier comment that dialogue was a bit clunky; although one or two quite amusing lines. I've always thought the dialogue was a bit too contemporary sounding; not that want a load of thee and thou Shakespearean sounding bollocks.

Always been a massive fan of this genre being whelped as a child by the fine penmanship of the father of sword and Sorcery Robert Erving Howard with special mentions to Kull Soleman Kane and Conan. Brilliant viewing last night encapsulating what a close knit team the cast were throughout their 8 year tennure. No luvvies or arselicking divas to be found anywhere this side of Westeros.

The dragon-ride was necessary. I understand why people think it's goofy but I quite liked it (which I've brought up on previous pages in spoiler tags), and when Jon inevitably has to mount Rhaegal again before the season is out, he'll have the ability to do so in the heat of battle. If he suddenly mounts Rhaegal in episode 3 or 4 (or whatever) without this scene backing it up, viewers would complain that he shouldn't have been able to just ride a dragon like that.

As for the Night King's message, I reckon it'll end up a la Blade Runner, a "meet and kill your maker" scenario. As we know, the Night King was created by the Children of the Forest for a pre-determined purpose (to kill, wipe out life, lead an army of undead creatures in a frozen wasteland). We also know that the symbols left behind by the Army of the Dead mimic the symbols seen at the site of the Children's cave/tree. But as Beric Dondarrion said: they're not just symbols, they're messages. Vladimur Furdik (the Night King's actor) said during the off-season that the Night King had a "target", and I believe the message left at Last Hearth is a clue to his true target: Brandon Stark, now the Three-Eyed-Raven.

The theory that the Night King is trying to track Bran down is hardly a new one (he's already chased him down in The Door), but the potential reasons why haven't really been explored. Essentially, the Night King views the Three-Eyed-Raven as the master of his makers. As well as bringing destruction to Westeros, I believe the Night King wants to get south of the Wall to find Bran, confront his maker, and kill him. His existence is a cursed one - as I said, he was created to murder, to wipe out all life, and to lead an army of undead creatures in a frozen wasteland. That's no different to Roy Batty being made purely to service the Tyrell Corporation.

I imagine the Night King thought he had finally completed his task when he broke the spell protecting the tree/cave and killed Max von Sydow's Three-Eyed-Raven in season 6, as well as wiping out the last of the Children, but now Bran has taken over that role and escaped into the Seven Kingdoms. And so the Night King has followed him.

The dragon-ride was necessary. I understand why people think it's goofy but I quite liked it (which I've brought up on previous pages in spoiler tags), and when Jon inevitably has to mount Rhaegal again before the season is out, he'll have the ability to do so in the heat of battle. If he suddenly mounts Rhaegal in episode 3 or 4 (or whatever) without this scene backing it up, viewers would complain that he shouldn't have been able to just ride a dragon like that.

As for the Night King's message, I reckon it'll end up a la Blade Runner, a "meet and kill your maker" scenario. As we know, the Night King was created by the Children of the Forest for a pre-determined purpose (to kill, wipe out life, lead an army of undead creatures in a frozen wasteland). We also know that the symbols left behind by the Army of the Dead mimic the symbols seen at the site of the Children's cave/tree. But as Beric Dondarrion said: they're not just symbols, they're messages. Vladimur Furdik (the Night King's actor) said during the off-season that the Night King had a "target", and I believe the message left at Last Hearth is a clue to his true target: Brandon Stark, now the Three-Eyed-Raven.

The theory that the Night King is trying to track Bran down is hardly a new one (he's already chased him down in The Door), but the potential reasons why haven't really been explored. Essentially, the Night King views the Three-Eyed-Raven as the master of his makers. As well as bringing destruction to Westeros, I believe the Night King wants to get south of the Wall to find Bran, confront his maker, and kill him. His existence is a cursed one - as I said, he was created to murder, to wipe out all life, and to lead an army of undead creatures in a frozen wasteland. That's no different to Roy Batty being made purely to service the Tyrell Corporation.

I imagine the Night King thought he had finally completed his task when he broke the spell protecting the tree/cave and killed Max von Sydow's Three-Eyed-Raven in season 6, as well as wiping out the last of the Children, but now Bran has taken over that role and escaped into the Seven Kingdoms. And so the Night King has followed him.
I'm pretty sure the symbols have something to do with the Targaryan coat of arms and this whole business with 'the prince that was promised' is something to do with and all. The symbol left in the umber's gaff in the last episode was very similar to it. I reckon it's going to go down to either Dany or Jon having to sacrifice themselves, and it will be Jon who has to make the decision. Also reckon Dany's use of blood magic back in series one is going to come back and bite her on her (fantastic) arse.

I'm pretty sure the symbols have something to do with the Targaryan coat of arms and this whole business with 'the prince that was promised' is something to do with and all. The symbol left in the umber's gaff in the last episode was very similar to it. I reckon it's going to go down to either Dany or Jon having to sacrifice themselves, and it will be Jon who has to make the decision. Also reckon Dany's use of blood magic back in series one is going to come back and bite her on her (fantastic) arse.
How would the Night King know what the Targaryen sigil looks like?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.