David Silva - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I must have been watching a different game - thought he was excellent - they all were.
The above is a statement of support. Which I'm sure is nice, but I was making a statement of fact.

Sure, as a collective, all our players played well. As they won a tough game on the road.

But that does not mean they were all individually excellent. Nor do they need to be. That David wasn't excellent isn't a slight. Just a statement of fact. Below are a few areas compared to his career average. I mean if a player's in key stats in a particular game are lower than his career average, I think it's fair to say he wasn't excellent in that game.
Pass Completion: Career 88%, Burnley 83%
Key Passes : Career Average 2.5 Burnley 0
Dribbles; Career average 1.2, Burnley 0

This does not even factor in his missed chance and missed runs. Sometimes, a factual claim is just that. Factual. Nothing for or against the player.

Seems to have become cool to slag David off last 3 months. Just maybe he is 33 and knackered after covering for Kev and injuries to others. Still our greatest (along with Sergio)
By slag Dave off, I'm sure you mean tell the truth about what one sees and what the facts suggests, right?

By slag Dave off, I'm sure you mean tell the truth about what one sees and what the facts suggests, right?

Stats can never tell the full story about a player's contribution or what qualities he brings to the team, whether negative or positive. There are other non-measurable qualities that contribute to a footballer's ability. In David Silva's case there are two that stand out :

1. His almost unique ability to find a pocket of space, Gareth Barry put it well -
“I loved playing with David Silva at City," Barry said.“When I received the ball, every time I looked up he seemed to be in acres of space..."

2. His composure, the quality that stood out in the first half of the rags game when the rest of the team were conceding possession far too easily.

No data analyst sat in front of a laptop can put those two qualities into a stats table and quantify them.

Stats can never tell the full story about a player's contribution or what qualities he brings to the team, whether negative or positive. There are other non-measurable qualities that contribute to a footballer's ability. In David Silva's case there are two that stand out :

1. His almost unique ability to find a pocket of space, Gareth Barry put it well -
“I loved playing with David Silva at City," Barry said.“When I received the ball, every time I looked up he seemed to be in acres of space..."

2. His composure, the quality that stood out in the first half of the rags game when the rest of the team were conceding possession far too easily.

No data analyst sat in front of a laptop can put those two qualities into a stats table and quantify them.

Sums it up perfectly for me. The man's a genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.