John Stones - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference when he tries to play out from the back at city is he has many midfield options all wanting to take the ball off him. When he plays from the back for England the midfield don’t show for him. It was a bad mistake but he could either hoof it or turn and pass it back. He turned because nobody came to show for him, it’s not his nature to hoof .Fortunately at city we play out of the back confidently because all players show themselves for the ball.

I like stones we should stick with him. When him and Laporte have a good run together in the team they look great.

As I mentioned in another thread, in the league he was dispossessed all of three times this season; he has the best pass completion stats in the league, his stats show zero unsuccessful touches per game.

Laporte was dispossessed even less in the league and then look what he did in the UCL vs a domestic rival. Shit does happen to top players. Stones takes risks sometimes and he took one last night that was unnecessary and he needs to learn from - he should never stop learning and should be able to improve his judgement throughout his career. England nearly won the game through a move he started by being bold at the back; not his fault Lingard was a fraction offside.

Stones has also had some immense defensive moments this season, that clearance off the line being one of them but he thrown his body in there when he had to and made some great blocks.

He's a guy with a great attitude and he is a genuinely talented footballer. I expect that he will continue to learn and improve. We did not win six trophies in two seasons in spite of him, he played an important part and is well worth having in our squad. If it ends up that he cannot cement a place in our best XI, that will just mean we have a hell of a good CB pairing ahead of him.

Media, general public, and many City fans before Netherlands game: He's a great defender, great on the ball, and our future.

Media, general public, and many City fans after poor performance against Netherlands: He was never that good anyway, he's never learned, I've always said he was wasted talent propped up by Pep.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...grow-up-gareth-southgate-defence-mode-england

Also media, general public, and many City fans: We aren't fickle..

Media, general public, and many City fans before Netherlands game: He's a great defender, great on the ball, and our future.

Media, general public, and many City fans after poor performance against Netherlands: He was never that good anyway, he's never learned, I've always said he was wasted talent propped up by Pep.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...grow-up-gareth-southgate-defence-mode-england

Also media, general public, and many City fans: We aren't fickle..

That is the thing isn't it, lots of people are fickle. The trouble for a lot of "supporters", IMO, is that they always need a scapegoat or someone to slate and that is a real issue at City because our squad is so good. You can find faults in every player we have, especially if you are minded to, but everyone in our senior squad is actually really, really good - ranging from international class to world class. They all have far more strengths than weaknesses. If I had pound for every time I saw someone on social media in the past two seasons say City were shit today... we might just be the most consistent English club side ever. Apart from short patches, the team just isn't ever truly shit. The very few games lost tend to be about moments rather than the whole performance. Player performances are more variable but, often, bad moments, like John's the other night, come to define the whole performance, which may well have been mostly good, such is the quality and consistency at City these days.

he needs to beef up a bit, get stronger. bring a bit more grit to his game. for me he's a bit too soft to be a top class centre back

Nah,thats nonsense as he has proved on many occasions.He can handle himself and most attackers just fine,he's also very brave and just as committed.

Stones' issues come from a lack of playing time,he's top class but he needs to be playing regular to iron out the creases in his game.

Stones can play well for near enough a full season then once he makes one mistake everyone is on his back again saying he's not learned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.