John Stones - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next season will be huge for him.

I think he's a very, very talented player, but he hasn't completed a full consistent season for us yet.

He was superb in the first half of the 100 point season and then very good at the start of our treble season as well. He disappeared in the second half of the season in both. Injuries didn't help, but when it gets to the business end of the season, he rarely gets a look in. Pep still doesn't 100% trust him and mentally he needs to be a lot tougher. There is a fragility in his game you don't see in Kompany and Laporte.

I hope he kicks on, but we will have to see.

Last edited:
John Stones is one of our own. Don't get dragged into the national obsession of the British media and fans of other clubs to destroy certain players. They tried their best with Raheem and he battled through, I suspect John will do the same. It comes to something when our future captain - KDB - has to come out and tell it how it is. Englands midfield played like championship players and are not capable of taking the ball under pressure plus the keeper is not on the same level as Ederson. I look forward to a good year for Stones and will support his even more.
This!

Reactions: mat
The absolute bollocks being spouted by some former players and even our own fans about Stones is getting tiresome. If you have fallen into the trap that people get into by listening to others who have watched a player a handful of times a season and think they have a valid opinion on him, then maybe you should think again. The first part of the season was some of the best football i've seen John Stones play, he had forged an incredible partnership with his backline and then for some to say he hasn't improved under Pep is astounding. After his injury he struggled to get back in but it wasn't because he was playing shit, every time he played he played good and he filled in to DM when required. Gary Neville said that Maguire is a better ball playing centre back than Stones, it's getting ridiculous now and hopefully Pep gets him as soon as he gets back into pre-season and tells him that they're chatting absolute shit.

Next season will be huge for him.

I think he's a very, very talented player, but he hasn't completed a full consistent season for us yet.

He was superb in the first half of the 100 point season and then very good at the start of our treble season as well. He disappeared in the second half of the season in both. Injuries didn't help, but when it gets to the business end of the season, he rarely gets a look in. Pep still doesn't 100% trust him and mentally he needs to be a lot tougher. There is a fragility in his game you don't see in Kompany and Laporte.

I hope he kicks on, but we will have to see.

who has, apart from maybe Bernardo last season?

Kun, KDB, Sterling, Sane, Dave, Dinho, Vinnie, Ederson have all gone off the boil or had little dips at points in each season.

Maybe Laporte but even he got sloppy when it mattered in the CL.

Just a nonsense to hold John to a different standard. When he's played, for the most part he's played very well.

who has, apart from maybe Bernardo last season?

Kun, KDB, Sterling, Sane, Dave, Dinho, Vinnie, Ederson have all gone off the boil or had little dips at points in each season.

Maybe Laporte but even he got sloppy when it mattered in the CL.

Just a nonsense to hold John to a different standard. When he's played, for the most part he's played very well.

If Maguire signs for the rags, perhaps we could try and sign Smalling or Jones to cover for Stones if he's so flaky ?

This season is absolutely huge for Stones. I’ve got faith that he can regain his early form from the last campaign, hopefully he’s in a batter headspace now.

I think people have gone to fit in the criticism of him to the point that he’s being written off as merely a squad player, when in reality I think he can still be an absolute star for us.

I think people should recognise how much stick Stones took over the nations league game from the England fans and media. He probably shouldn't have stated that game but I suppose Southgate didn't have any options, he hadn't played much in the tail end of the season and it showed in a big game. He struggled to regain his place after injury, the personal issues that were hinted about adding to it. Hopefully he just needed some time to reset himself and will get back on track next season refreshed.

Now is the time to get behind a good young CB with years ahead of him, make him glad to be back in sky blue and he will give his all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.