Txiki Begiristain

I must admit during the second half of the Pellegrini era I had some concerns over transfers - especially full backs.
However, he has done a really good job and reading a biography of Pep it is clear how much he rates and values him.

I must admit during the second half of the Pellegrini era I had some concerns over transfers - especially full backs.
However, he has done a really good job and reading a biography of Pep it is clear how much he rates and values him.

Whilst he has done well and this is true, it’s a lot easier to recruit players when you’re selling them Pep to coach them. It will be interesting to see how he does when Pep leaves.

He did a blinding job of pretending to want Falcao, Pogba, Sanchez and Fred and maybe even Harry Maguire... and really inflating their prices for the Rags to swoop in on a the load of dross that they are.

Whilst he has done well and this is true, it’s a lot easier to recruit players when you’re selling them Pep to coach them. It will be interesting to see how he does when Pep leaves.
Well he got Dinho, Negredo, Navas, Sterling, KDB, Otamendi etc without Guardiola so I'm not too worried personally.

I believe you are selling him short. Obviously the pull of Pep makes the difference but Txiki has a unique approach to his job that Guardiola, Laporta et al have singled out for tremendous praise. He was a glorious talent as a footballer & just as clinical in his role in football operations - there's a reason why the City owners singled him out from Barcelona

I believe you are selling him short. Obviously the pull of Pep makes the difference but Txiki has a unique approach to his job that Guardiola, Laporta et al have singled out for tremendous praise. He was a glorious talent as a footballer & just as clinical in his role in football operations - there's a reason why the City owners singled him out from Barcelona
Genuinely curious, what is Txiki’s unique approach?

Genuinely curious, what is Txiki’s unique approach?

Intelligence, style and substance - cut from similar cloth to Pep tbh. It's a well known fact that Pep would never have ended up coach at Barcelona, if not City, were it not for another member from Cruyff's dream team. Txiki isn't merely there to sign players but steer the vision of the club from a specific sporting perspective. He knows exactly what he wants and how to get it, being a former teammate of Pep's makes it the perfect & peerless partnership in world football

Even when he was first hired forcing youth coaches at City to provide him detailed reports on every training session to check for content & value to align with the overall vision for the club he was entrusted with before even Pep arrived. The depth at every position that fans are enjoying, credit all goes to Txiki.

Then there's the stealthy & quiet approach to how he conducts transfer business - rarely speaks a word to the media but closes business with great efficiency and knows when to back off when a deal looks poor. Pep gets a lot of credit but the reality is that Txiki is the one who acts on scouting reports. What you read from player recruits, their families and opposing clubs is the charm & soft spoken and professional way in which he approaches transfers. There's no hard sell and no pushing, he sells them on the project and puts them at ease. It's why most of his City transfers have gone almost under the radar

You want to celebrate City's success in this era, look no further than the Basque man

Intelligence, style and substance - cut from similar cloth to Pep tbh. It's a well known fact that Pep would never have ended up coach at Barcelona, if not City, were it not for another member from Cruyff's dream team. Txiki isn't merely there to sign players but steer the vision of the club from a specific sporting perspective. He knows exactly what he wants and how to get it, being a former teammate of Pep's makes it the perfect & peerless partnership in world football

Even when he was first hired forcing youth coaches at City to provide him detailed reports on every training session to check for content & value to align with the overall vision for the club he was entrusted with before even Pep arrived. The depth at every position that fans are enjoying, credit all goes to Txiki.

Then there's the stealthy & quiet approach to how he conducts transfer business - rarely speaks a word to the media but closes business with great efficiency and knows when to back off when a deal looks poor. Pep gets a lot of credit but the reality is that Txiki is the one who acts on scouting reports. What you read from player recruits, their families and opposing clubs is the charm & soft spoken and professional way in which he approaches transfers. There's no hard sell and no pushing, he sells them on the project and puts them at ease. It's why most of his City transfers have gone almost under the radar

You want to celebrate City's success in this era, look no further than the Basque man

Agree with this. I think his background as a player also has a big influence - he is in no way influenced by the high drama and high spending showbiz approach of many agents. City operate a wall of silence in the transfer market and when they act it is swiftly and decisively. When you operate that way, consistantly, over time you develop credability and barganing power. If you say its the final offer it means its the final offer. We have walked away from enough deals to build that reputation and now we can benefit from it.

Gary Cook had a different approach, maybe it was appropriate for that time in our history but we have certainly come a long way from the Kaka debacle.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.