Var debate 2019/20

Thought in the West Ham game Mike Dean wasn't going to give the penalty, then got someone in his ear saying you'll look such a fucking idiot if you don't give that....

he certainly hesitated before he gave the penalty thats for sure

Premier League‏Verified account @premierleague

"Any goal scored or created with the use of the hand or arm will be disallowed this season even if it is accidental."

That is what the Premier league Twitter posted, so are they ignoring the specific detailed guidelines by IFAB regarding handball?

On the official Premier League site it says the same thing....

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1263332?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

BUT at the bottom they direct you to read the new IFAB guidelines

See: IFAB handball law changes in full

Sooo, what the hell does that mean? Do the Premier league have different rules than IFAB? ie Any accidental handball scored or created is handball or is it lazily written and the specific guidelines of possession and control of the ball still stand that IFAB wrote and the Premier league gives a link to IFAB to read the detailed guidelines?

This HAS to be cleared up as it's night and day difference for what could be a goal or not a goal. Like what happened to us v Spurs.

So we created 40% of ALL the chances across 20 league games? We’re good but even we’re not that fucking good!!!

Get that fucking tin foil hat back and get yourself a calculator before coming up with statistics that are complete and utter bollocks.

Have I missed something here? I don't recall saying 40%, why have you made that up and now throwing a few expletives at me??

They have already made their minds up who they want this year as their ‘darlings’.
There won’t be anything like the scrutiny we have. You all know who we mean. If it has to be won by ‘massaging the game’ is it really worth it??
We are our own worst enemy at the moment. If we had put away the sitters we had created, we probably wouldn’t even be talking about this.
Of course we would... we'd have won the game but still been robbed of a great moment

This is my first input to this forum.

i wish to contribute to the VAR thread as a neutral.

Over the weekend I felt aggrieved for City fans having seen the Lamela/Rodrigo penalty claim incident.

I was surprised that the VAR official did not intervene, but thought there may have been a good reason why.

I thought nothing more of it until I heard this morning's FIve Live interview with Neil Swarbrick, the Premier League VAR lead.

A lot of what Neil said re VAR general implementation principles kinda made sense, BUT his comments re why VAR did not intervene in respect of the aforementioned penalty claim were inexcusable. As said in part by other forum members Swarbrick claimed that the evidence showed that if Rodrigo had been held around the neck or upper body by Lamela he should have fallen backwards, and not forward as was the case. Neil Swarbrick went on to claim that the VAR officials did review the incident, but took no further action because when the incident was reviewed at normal speed then it was clear that Rodrigo (if he had been interfered with) should have fallen backward. He also said that the slow motion replay looked a bit suspect, but it is the full speed replay that had to be considered by the VAR official.

The above explanation did not sit well with my recollection of the incident and so I decided to watch the incident again at full speed on MOTD via Catch Up TV. Having done so it shows that Swarbrick's explanation is frankly utter tosh. If anything Rodrigo was pushed to the ground by Lamela and it would have been physically impossible for Rodri to have fallen backwards. Moreover, given that (as Swarbrick claims) the incident was reviewed I find it nigh on impossible to believe that any VAR official could have reached such a bizarre decision within the time that was available to them to review the incident 'live' on Saturday and revert back to the match referee, i.e. within a timeframe of less than 20 seconds.

I don't subscribe to any conspiracy theories etc, but I as a neutral genuinely feel that Swarbrick's above explanation should be formally challenged because it would appear that the vast majority of football lovers and pundits (e.g MOTD's Lineker, Shearer and Murphy) all feel that it was a penalty. Neil Swarbrick and the PL hierarchy should be held to account.

Welcome to the board, you talk a lot of sense

Premier League‏Verified account @premierleague

"Any goal scored or created with the use of the hand or arm will be disallowed this season even if it is accidental."

That is what the Premier league Twitter posted, so are they ignoring the specific detailed guidelines by IFAB regarding handball?

On the official Premier League site it says the same thing....

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1263332?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

BUT at the bottom they direct you to read the new IFAB guidelines

Sooo, what the hell does that mean? Do the Premier league have different rules than IFAB? ie Any accidental handball scored or created is handball or is it lazily written and the specific guidelines of possession and control of the ball still stand that IFAB wrote and the Premier league gives a link to IFAB to read the detailed guidelines?

This HAS to be cleared up as it's night and day difference for what could be a goal or not a goal. Like what happened to us v Spurs.
I agree there is scope for ambiguity. The first line on the page on the Premier League Website says:-

The International Football Association Board (IFAB) has updated the Laws of the Game for the 2019/20 season.

And at the bottom the link says:-

So I would suggest that the rest of the page on the Premier League website is just a summary of the new IFAB rules which has been badly written and the real rules that should be referenced are the ones on the IFAB site.

You really don't get the game if you look at that and don't see a player in the air before he's touched.
You’re right...”I don’t ‘get’ the game!”
HAHAHAHA!!!

Defender never even questioned the call. Not a peep. No-one did! LITERALLY NO-ONE!!!

Stuck his leg out, Pogba was tripped by it. The end. I hate them as much as the next guy, but I’m not going to warp reality to try to see that as a dive! Get ahold of yourself.

It was a penalty...all day every day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.