Shaun Wright-Phillips retires from football

He didn't want out though. We desperately needed the money & he was sacrificed to keep the club afloat. I know John Wardle did a lot for us but he was a shit chairman it has to be said. And the less said about that lying tosser CEO Mackintosh the better.

SWP would have fitted this Pep team like a glove. Absolute star on the pitch and a gent off it.

Well his Dad was his agent and he was making it clear that Shaun wanted a move. He could see that staying with us was not the right thing so he was always going to move. I doubt his Dad wanted him to sign a new contract and I was always of the view that it was Shaun’s decision.

I agree and by contrast Mourinho did practically nothing to develop SWP as a player at Chelsea, he preferred to make use solely of the hard working aspect of SWP's play rather than his technical ability.

Good luck to Shaun in whatever he chooses to do in the future.
SWP just said on soccer AM that Mourinho was the best manager he played under

Well his Dad was his agent and he was making it clear that Shaun wanted a move. He could see that staying with us was not the right thing so he was always going to move. I doubt his Dad wanted him to sign a new contract and I was always of the view that it was Shaun’s decision.

His agent was Wayne Lindsay then, and your story contradicts what Ian said about it.

I know someone close to the family & his dad actually wanted him to stay with City with a World Cup coming up at the end of the following season. But he was told that he needed to leave or we'd go bust as Wardle wasn't prepared to put any more money in. And Mackintosh was asked what his best day in football was and said "Selling SWP for £21m".

Last surviving city player to play at Maine Road?

Absolute legend, loved the club as much as we loved him. Brought genuine excitement every time he touched the ball. always felt his career didn’t go as well as his talent could have allowed though.

Be great to see him back around City more now

I think his brother Bradley is still playing in US .
I’m sure he played at Maine road

Can’t think of any more city players still playing who did

Was at the New Den when he scored his first goal for us and celebrated in front of the empty stand, as away fans were banned from both games that season.

I can still hear the sound of that net rippling, and the monkey grunts from the neanderthal Millwall fans.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.