Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

It is but no one from up here wants to work on it. Laing north west as it were still needs jobs.
The thing is it’ll be an absolute money pit, invariably where the money goes so does the workforce, you couldn’t move in Cumbria when we were building Thorpe, £10billion on a building that didn’t work, those were the days :-)

According OVG they are funding the arena, not City.

So any income for City will probably be limited to land rent and maybe a small % of the arena revenue, which I doubt very much.

I can’t see City making that much out of the proposed arena.

Was meaning to come back to this last week but forgot. For a while in the past, I was involved on the legal side of putting together property deals of this type. When you think that in 2018, the O2 in London was reported to be making an annual profit of more than GBP 150 million, it's not surprising that OVG would be willing to drop GBP 300 million on this venture.

However, City (or rather the MCFC/MCC joint-venture company) will be supplying the land on which the facility will be built and will be responsible for maintaining the entire surrounding area, as well as operating (or overseeing the operation of) other facilities on the Campus, including those yet to be built. There may also be scope for MCFC/ADUG to provide some assistance in procuring events for an arena, too; OVG don't especially need assistance, but I doubt they'd be likely to turn it down.

Bit of a hostage to fortune to speculate on exactly how it will work given the limited information we have so far, so I won't try in any detail. However, I'll make the following general points: (1) there'll be contractual undertakings with respect to the above and some money will flow to MCFC for the performance of the above obligations; (2) the amount is unlikely to be game-changing in terms of the club's income, but it's not fanciful to suggest that it could cover the annual salary of an established member of the senior squad - in other words, well worth having; and (3) it should be possible to structure matters in such a way that's acceptable to OVG while any income of MCFC counts for FFP purposes under the current rules.

The big deal about the OVG plans, though, is that if they go ahead, it will unlock the development of the rest of the site. Once you have a world-class anchor, and OVG genuinely is, then other leisure operators of ancillary facilities are much more likely to commit to the collar site as a venue as well. Again, much depends on how they work it and we're in the realms of absolute conjecture here (so please note the following choice of words), but it's possible that the revenue for MCFC could be rather significant.

One other thing I note, with regard to transport. The tram-train trial between Sheffield and Rotherham, which was delayed for several years, is now one year into its two-year term. Tram-trains are vehicles that could use the Metrolink on-street infrastructure, while at the same time - and unlike the existing Metrolink vehicles - can use heavy rail lines without the lines having to be adapted. TfGM previously published a strategy document stating that, if the trial is successful, they'll look to tram-train technology as the basis for the further expansion of the network.

That strategy document suggested the first line to be developed would be from either Glossop or, more likely Marple, through the city centre and out from Victoria towards Wigan. It would serve Ashburys before going on-street through Beswick, where there'd be a new station, and joining up with the existing East Manchester line outside Piccadilly. The new Beswick station would be a fairly short walk from the South Stand and Colin Bell Stand, but obviously would attract arena customers as well.

I assume they don't want to make any promises about this while the South Yorkshire trial is ongoing. Nonetheless, the suggestion was that it would take two years from the end of the trial, assuming it were successful, to have a tram-train line up and running in Greater Manchester. That takes us to the back end of 2022, the year in which the arena would be opening. I suspect this timing may not be a coincidence.

PS - Just to add, Heatonparkincakes from SSC is a ****.

Haha (last line) - did you have a spat on SSC?

No. I mainly lurk on SSC but on the rare occasions I've posted down the years was never treated with anything other than respect. That poster, however, riled me because he's continually poured scorn on BM posters on this thread, displaying extraordinary and unwarranted arrogance in basically suggesting that a bunch of thick football fans can't possibly be expected to match the level of insight that he shows. Based on what I've seen of his postings, I'd respectfully submit that he has a vastly inflated opinion of himself.

No. I mainly lurk on SSC but on the rare occasions I've posted down the years was never treated with anything other than respect. That poster, however, riled me because he's continually poured scorn on BM posters on this thread, displaying extraordinary and unwarranted arrogance in basically suggesting that a bunch of thick football fans can't possibly be expected to match the level of insight that he shows. Based on what I've seen of his postings, I'd respectfully submit that he has a vastly inflated opinion of himself.

I know exactly what you mean Petrusha.

Is this arena gonna reduce the available parking near the stadium?
The land that is being used was previously used for media parking, not parked at the Etihad for many a year so no idea if that still the case. Orange is only a temporary car park and will be lost when further development starts. I have had it suggested to me by a club insider that blue will become multi story, personally cant think of anything worse, it takes forever to empty as a single tier. The nearby failed retail park was purchased for development by the council and will now be a car park in the short term. I have no inside knowledge but my best guess is that will become a permanent car park with park and ride to the etihad and over time the parking in the stadium footprint will gradually disappear

The land that is being used was previously used for media parking, not parked at the Etihad for many a year so no idea if that still the case. Orange is only a temporary car park and will be lost when further development starts. I have had it suggested to me by a club insider that blue will become multi story, personally cant think of anything worse, it takes forever to empty as a single tier. The nearby failed retail park was purchased for development by the council and will now be a car park in the short term. I have no inside knowledge but my best guess is that will become a permanent car park with park and ride to the etihad and over time the parking in the stadium footprint will gradually disappear
My guess is that any major plot of land in that area will ultimately end up as flats.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.