Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

That is correct. Whether you regard that as progress I don't know.

Here is some interesting analysis which confirms your point of view. It's not entirely up to date. My impression is that the number of cars in the City centre has fallen significantly in the last 18 months as the Oxford Rd corridor opened.

LzBdl9V.png

Here is a graphic which details projected population growth. See panel on the left regarding the City Centre population.

That is the context for public transport in Manchester and why there is a shift from car to walking and cycling. The crane count tells its own tale. There is a surge in people living, working and studying in the City Centre. Students are moving from Fallowfield into the City centre. That means that the City centre transport in focused less on the car.

This has a knock on effect for CIty fans as we of course use Manchester's transport infrastructure. Basically if you a car driver, then the City council does not really want you (my interpretation not theirs, they want you out of the car, and onto your bike, feet, or the bus).

yOQqJJ9.png

Potential solution if there is a North Stand Expansion, and transport is an issue in 2-3 years time:

Give Seasoncard holders an option to buy discounted travel on the buses, and make more buses available. Get Stagecoach staff to load more than 1-2 buses at a time.

I am not convinced that there actually is a problem beyond car drivers, and tram users, but if there is, this is what I would do
Getting the bus back into town is a pain, especially with most of the Stagecoach employees stood about twiddling their thumbs. Load every bus at the same time and employ a few empty seat counters from Liverpool, every bus would be back in the centre three times as fast.

Getting the bus back into town is a pain, especially with most of the Stagecoach employees stood about twiddling their thumbs. Load every bus at the same time and employ a few empty seat counters from Liverpool, every bus would be back in the centre three times as fast.
Definitely. Every time I queue up, I always wonder why not load several buses at a time. All they have to do is line up some crash barriers (which they have) and filter the main queue into 3 or 4 buses. Get one person on each door - tickets and passes straight on. GMPTE should get 2-3 Stagecoach staff there bossing the Showsec staff and show them what to do. If I was working there, I'd want to get the qs moving. Less hassle from happy punters, and once the queue has died down, job's half-done.

It's quicker queueing now than it used to be as a lot more people load tickets on their phones now, or pay with a debit card. That trend will continue.

I've never used the bus after the game but I assumed that they were free.

That is the solution, loads of free buses parked on both sides of the road subsidised by the club. Surely it can't be that expensive.
How many does a bus hold? You would need loads and they'd just get stuck in traffic.

I've never used the bus after the game but I assumed that they were free.

That is the solution, loads of free buses parked on both sides of the road subsidised by the club. Surely it can't be that expensive.
It's what they do at virtually every major European ground I have been to. In Germany it's just included as part of your match ticket along with local train travel. It's not rocket science. A taxi rank would be a good idea as well. Only buses should be allowed on Pollard Street on matchdays. Open up Ashburys Station for a shuttle train on match days like the service from Oxford Road to the swamp. None of this is difficult. We are shit at running transport in this country.
The only place I have been in Europe that was worse was Salonika and even there there were loads of taxis. We are 30 years behind the rest of Europe. Transport is the main reason why midweek games are hard to sell out and that's probably costing the club more money than it would cost to subsidise it. How much would it cost to rent 50 buses for example?

How many does a bus hold? You would need loads and they'd just get stuck in traffic.
Not if you closed the roads down for 45 minutes after the game. If they put on a marathon everything shuts for most of the day so 45 minutes to clear 50 000+ people must be possible. Close Ashton New Road/ Merrill Street from Edge Lane to GT Ancoats Street and Alan Turing Way and Bradford Street from Ashton New Road.
Trams and buses waiting at full time, entire stadium area (save for people who want to stay behind) emptied by 1800 on a Saturday.

I agree we should look into this but just to let you know that the train service to the MUFC station hasn't operated since 2018
Thanks. I didn't know that perhaps it wasn't needed because they now have three tram stations. It is much easier getting away from Old Trafford than the Etihad if you know where to park. I know it's a cliche but most of their fans do tend to head towards the motorway and it is very easy on other routes.

Thanks. I didn't know that perhaps it wasn't needed because they now have three tram stations. It is much easier getting away from Old Trafford than the Etihad if you know where to park. I know it's a cliche but most of their fans do tend to head towards the motorway and it is very easy on other routes.

The official reason is 'health and safety concerns' but I think the real reason is lack of spare capacity on the rail network in the Piccadilly-Oxford Rd area

I think it is linked to the terrorist threat, OT is classed as target #1 and our stadium as target #2 on the most likely venues to be hit so trains so close to OT have been stopped

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.