My lads first away day tomorrow.

i was at that. It was 4-0 and we had a tiny allocation due to stadium development. Main memory of the day is hearing about the hillsborough disaster through word of mouth all afternoon, then driving home in horrified silence as the death toll came through on radio 5.
If it’s that game we were behind the net and down the side hardly a small allocation. Everyone heard that there was a problem at Hillsborough and pretty much everyone had the same thought which was that the dippers were causing trouble again. It was only later when back in the car the enormity of the situation became clear.

I'm in Mrs Deaths SUV mate, anything less than 100/% secure is not an option if I'm to be allowed home :-)

I'm traveling up from London and going straight to the ground for 12 not a scooby which direction I will be coming from :-)
M60 at Failsworth would bring you in the right side for the Abattoir car park, but if I were you from that angle of approach I'd park in Town & walk if the kids are old enough.

i was at that. It was 4-0 and we had a tiny allocation due to stadium development. Main memory of the day is hearing about the hillsborough disaster through word of mouth all afternoon, then driving home in horrified silence as the death toll came through on radio 5.

If it’s that game we were behind the net and down the side hardly a small allocation. Everyone heard that there was a problem at Hillsborough and pretty much everyone had the same thought which was that the dippers were causing trouble again. It was only later when back in the car the enormity of the situation became clear.

Yeah I remember that well. I was behind the goal and the rumour in the crowd was that a wall had collapsed at Hillsborough & several fans had been injured. Then as we got to the car we heard about the deaths and by the time we'd stopped for a pint near Bolton the enormity of it had all unfolded. It put City's defeat at Ewood into perspective.
The other thing I remember about that day was Gerry Taggart playing at right back. He was so left footed it was laughable. On one occasion he was forced to clear with his right foot and it was probably the worst clearance I've ever seen - I swear he sliced it behind himself for a throw in. The moral of the story being that you shouldn't play a left footed centre half at right back !

I'm in Mrs Deaths SUV mate, anything less than 100/% secure is not an option if I'm to be allowed home :-)

I'm traveling up from London and going straight to the ground for 12 not a scooby which direction I will be coming from :-)

If you're approaching the stadium from the Oldham Road direction (towards Alan Turing Way) try turning right at the Bradford Road lights (I.e. just before the Philips Park Cemetery lights). There are a couple of small car parks along Bradford Road & only a minute's drive away. I would recommend the one on your left immediately before the Bradford Inn. It's manned right through until after the match and it's only a fiver. 15 mins stroll to the stadium and usually OK to get away from after the game.

Yeah I remember that well. I was behind the goal and the rumour in the crowd was that a wall had collapsed at Hillsborough & several fans had been injured. Then as we got to the car we heard about the deaths and by the time we'd stopped for a pint near Bolton the enormity of it had all unfolded. It put City's defeat at Ewood into perspective.
The other thing I remember about that day was Gerry Taggart playing at right back. He was so left footed it was laughable. On one occasion he was forced to clear with his right foot and it was probably the worst clearance I've ever seen - I swear he sliced it behind himself for a throw in. The moral of the story being that you shouldn't play a left footed centre half at right back !
Ripley had a field day v Gerry. Painful to watch.

If you're approaching the stadium from the Oldham Road direction (towards Alan Turing Way) try turning right at the Bradford Road lights (I.e. just before the Philips Park Cemetery lights). There are a couple of small car parks along Bradford Road & only a minute's drive away. I would recommend the one on your left immediately before the Bradford Inn. It's manned right through until after the match and it's only a fiver. 15 mins stroll to the stadium and usually OK to get away from after the game.
Many thanks mate, that sounds good

I have exactly the same memory of the game, and hillsborough via the radio. We were shocking that day but by 6pm it didn’t really seem that relevant.

I'm driving up for the first time in my puff, 4hrs with a car full of kids, what's the crack with parking at the stadium, can I just turn up on the day and pay??

Is it the Blue Car Park off Alan Turing way and can I get in there at 12pm ??

Any advice appreciated as ever....
They have reduced the price of the blue car park to £8 now if you have 2 or more in. I wouldn't mess around for the sake of £3 to find the windows through after the game mate

I might be confusing it with another game at Ewood when the Darwin end was knocked down and we only had the pen up the side. I was in their seats for many games there in the 80s.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.