Criticism of Pep

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure tbh feel we have roughly the same demographic as Everton and Newcastle, historic clubs that have had huge followings but high average age of fans in the Citys they are in, leads to a lot of younger fans genuinely not affording to go to many matches as they would sooner eat and have a roof over their heads.
When I started to go to football there waere 5 of us that started going together and we stood together on the Kippax, then we got season tickets and stood together went to games together, went out after the game together. The issue now with seats is even if they could afford a s/c and most young working adults could probably afford say a £450 s/c at £45 / month a group of mates wouldn't be able to find 5 s/c available sat together.
I do think if/ when we expand again we need to relocate the family stand , if we can put in safe standing, if no standing then leave at least one or two complete blocks ringfenced for new s/c holders only and priced at under £450. Open up these areas to new season tickets before the relocations so those available to young fans aren't isolated single seats.

I think this is all fair. But I don’t really blame Pep for this. He clearly hates dealing with the media anyway. The larger issue is our PR strategy and I’ve been saying it for years.

It’s quite clear that the PR strategy is one of promoting Abu Dhabi as an outwardly looking, moderate, ambitious, great place to do business.

Unlike some others, I have absolutely no problem with any of that. If Sheikh Mansour wants to pour his millions in to City, buy the best players, best manager, best infrastructure, invest in community facilities, I’m delighted with that. If the knock on of that is Abu Dhabi’s profile is raised, great. No problem at all.

But the executives at the club seem to have completely taken their eye off the ball with the PR of the actual football club.

What’s our message? Success? Beautiful football? Playing “the Guardiola way”? That’s all fine, but it’s not really a message. It’s not something that engages people on an emotional level.

Barca - more than a club, Liverpool - this means more, The Shite - the greatest football story ever told (vomit) Real Madrid - the Galacticos. Even if you disagree with those tags, they all cut through and make up people’s perception of those clubs.

Whereas with City the only message that gets through is we spend a load of money and our fans are shit. Because that’s all the media talks about. And it’s pretty much all they’ve got to go off.

Why aren’t we promoting ourselves as the club who went down to the depths of despair? The club who represent anything is possible. Of never giving up hope. Never say die? The last minute goals vs Gillingham, Aguero, Jesus, why aren’t we pushing the narrative of the club who never knows it’s beaten? Who never give up. Why can’t that be our “DNA”?

It’s a PR problem. The story is there to tell. We just don’t have anyone willing, or able, to tell that story. It’s a strategic problem, you can’t blame it all on Pep.
This is 100 per cent correct. There is confusion between the CFG worldwide narrative (which is generally positive) and City the football club from Manchester. This may be a structural issue within our management team ie the larger City Football Group message takes prominence over its flagship business in Manchester because of fear of upsetting the most senior people.

There was a post earlier in the thread, about when he leaves there'll be an asterisk by his name, and that's probably right but not for the reason given, it'll be for undoubtedly being the best manager we've had, I know he gets paid handsomely but who in the top league doesn't? We and fans of football in general should be thankful that he's over here, serving up a brand of football not often seen, and all he wants is as many people as possible to be entertained by it, and players he himself is proud of being given as much support as possible. Long may it f^#kin continue!

Can we agree that we're a "checking the fixtures to see if they correspond with pay day and then weigh up what other family necessities we have to pay for, before lashing out on tickets even if the match isn't that enticing and surrounded by other fixtures and is on TV, kinda club?"
Definately, though think we were choosing which of the 3 games available to prioritise in the middle of January rather than just not buying tickets, because as well as the 40,000 fulaham tickets sold this month we've sold 100,000 tickets for Madrid and the semi final. I think Pep spoke withhout really thinking about it, when it's been explained he understands he should probably have left it .

What Pep should be doing is playing mind games with his opponents, not with Citys own fans.

This is 100 per cent correct. There is confusion between the CFG worldwide narrative (which is generally positive) and City the football club from Manchester. This may be a structural issue within our management team ie the larger City Football Group message takes prominence over its flagship business in Manchester because of fear of upsetting the most senior people.

This is true but they do push “Fight to the end” They could do so much more with our story though.

Fern was out of contract and being offered an absolute mountain of signing-on cash by a certain team who plays in France.

Fern, himself, was expecting to leave just two months ago.

It's good news as far as I am concerned, anyhow.

He wasn't really out of contract though, because we know he has a clause where it gets auto-renewed if he plays 80% of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.