United (a) post-match thread

Don’t remember that one, Sid. Maybe another FOC will.
I remember Leeds goalie Gary Sprake doing it, but don’t remember Corrigan. I do remember him booting a clearance upfield, then turning his back as Ronnie Boyce (West Ham) volleyed it over Joe’s head into the net.

How the hell do they get 12 shots on goal with 27.7 % possession ? We had 754 passes ? Talk about being passive !!!!
skysports-graphic-man-utd-man-city_4942736.png

its all in the set ups, they are geared to the counter because we operate so high up the field, in a way they had no choice because we are generally so good in possession, but on the occasions it breaks down players like james and martial have half the pitch to attack in, which is why you got those skewed stats, we look like we are just going side to side because of the way they defended so deep in numbers, we normally would eventually find a way through, but for whatever reason we lacked that cutting edge yesterday

How the hell do they get 12 shots with 27.7 % possession ? We completed 671 passes and created 1 big chance. Talk about being passive !!!!
Because they set up to try to expose us when our attacks broke down which they all too often did. A ball hoofed into space was all that was needed sometimes to leave us scrambling back. The fact that they were fairly shite from an attacking perspective meant they were largely unable to capitalise. That passing network graphic above shows how vulnerable we are to counter attacks particularly with a lack of pace at CB.

How the hell do they get 12 shots with 27.7 % possession ? We completed 671 passes and created 1 big chance. Talk about being passive !!!!

Because despite what people think possession doesn't win you games, taking your chances and creating them does. We pass the ball too much this year and its slow, side to side backward and forwards and teams know now that if they are compact and get 10 players behind the ball we won't score unless they make a mistake defensively. They also know that if they snatch possession they have a good chance at counter-attacking and snatching a goal. We have been narrow all year in my opinion, the overlapping runs have gone and the wingers always cut inside.

Basically we have become Arsenal 2004/05. Overthinking everything and being wasteful.

I remember Leeds goalie Gary Sprake doing it, but don’t remember Corrigan. I do remember him booting a clearance upfield, then turning his back as Ronnie Boyce (West Ham) volleyed it over Joe’s head into the net.
The pitch was like a bog if I remember and after booting the ball as far as he could from the edge of the box Joe turned around and started jogging towards his goal only to see the ball sail over his head. A fine volley it was and Joe got a bit of a roasting in the press but it did not seem to affect his form in the long term and may have marked a turning point in his career. Hopefully Eddie will learn from those howlers yesterday in a similar vein.

Exactly. Got the impression ref blew his whistle for the foul because we were breaking dangerously.
Once the linesman had raised his flag VAR was not clear and obvious so no overturn. But that shows how the officials can influence the game. Don't blow if Salah is where Kun was then use VAR, goal stands.

Exactly. Mike Dean's own initial reaction was to turn away from the tackle and only when he saw that Kun had won the ball in a 50-50 did he blow the whistle and convert a perfectly good tackle into a 'foul'. Truly a bent ref.

Their number of attempts from that level of possession was a real disappointment for me yesterday. It just shows how lightweight we are when it comes to defending as a team.

We didn’t actually have any pressing need to win the game yesterday either, their need was much greater so we could have changed our tactics for this game. We could have sat deep and waited for them to come and break us down, something they are not very good at. Saying that, we still wouldn’t have lost if it wasn’t for Ederson fucking up.

This season we have conceded 2 goals or more way too many times though

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.