Never meet your heroes.....

He stopped literally last year - had a knee op and then just decided to stop doing it. Bit of a shame. I have 15 footballs from concerts (he often just used to chuck me one if I was on the front row)

FFS, can someone start a thread where you can tell us more, and also the Bluemooner, whose dad knew Richard Beckinsale really well, can tell us all about that? Or is there already an old thread about stuff like that?

Keith Curle was a grade A prick and could have got me sacked from my first real job. I had set up a big interview with him and arrived at Maine Road reception and he told me to wait while he got washed and changed.

It was a big thing for me but he slipped out the back door without an apology, leaving me to face the music back at the office.

I was gutted for him when he was caught by staff shagging a young girl in the gym a few weeks later.

Imagine my different treatment from a certain David Beckham when I went to a press call at adidas in Stockport in the early 2000s.

He was an absolute gent and gave me a lift back to town in his blue Porsche Boxster after someone let me down on a lift back into Manchester.

Same age as me and he was genuinely interested in how I had got into the business.
He always later let on to me when in the same bars - met with a mixture of disgust and complete admiration from my fellow blue mates - also always saw them pull!

I'm a big boxing fan - again, two very different experiences.

Frank Bruno? Just a horrible ****.

One of my great privileges was to spend an hour with Tommy 'The Hitman' Hearns at the Midland hotel towards the end of his career - with Manny Steward alongside.

Tiffany earring, sharp suit, classy as hell and the only person I have ever asked a personalised autograph from during my career.

5 or 6 years ago (may be a bit more) I went with my eldest son to our City Supporters Club meeting where the guest speaker was Paul Lake.
Paul spoke for about an hour or so about his injury and his rehab and, most importantly, about how the support of others helped him cope with it all.
After the meeting, along with my eldest son, we spoke with Paul privately and I asked him if he would'nt mind recording a short message to my youngest son, who was in hospital having had his large intestine and bowel removed in a second, life saving, operation.
Now, given his earlier speech about support in troubled times, you would have expected him to say "of course I will"
His actual response was, " No, I don't do that kind of thing, you'll have to approach the club"
Oh the irony, way to go Lakey.

Not exactly a hero, A good friend of the family was a driving instructor and one of his clients was Ossie Ardiles who was learning to drive when he first came over from Argentina. Met him a few times and remember he was always friendly. Mind you he could've been tellling me to "get the hell out of my face you little scote" and I wouldn't have known.

Keith Curle was a grade A prick and could have got me sacked from my first real job. I had set up a big interview with him and arrived at Maine Road reception and he told me to wait while he got washed and changed.

It was a big thing for me but he slipped out the back door without an apology, leaving me to face the music back at the office.

I was gutted for him when he was caught by staff shagging a young girl in the gym a few weeks later.

Imagine my different treatment from a certain David Beckham when I went to a press call at adidas in Stockport in the early 2000s.

He was an absolute gent and gave me a lift back to town in his blue Porsche Boxster after someone let me down on a lift back into Manchester.

Same age as me and he was genuinely interested in how I had got into the business.
He always later let on to me when in the same bars - met with a mixture of disgust and complete admiration from my fellow blue mates - also always saw them pull!

I'm a big boxing fan - again, two very different experiences.

Frank Bruno? Just a horrible ****.

One of my great privileges was to spend an hour with Tommy 'The Hitman' Hearns at the Midland hotel towards the end of his career - with Manny Steward alongside.

Tiffany earring, sharp suit, classy as hell and the only person I have ever asked a personalised autograph from during my career.

Hearns and Marvelous Marvin Haglerl were my heroes growing up as a young aspiring boxer.

As a kid I went often to watch the team train and by a country mile the friendliest player was Andy Dibble. He even beeped his car at me once. On the flip side Niall Quinn was the exact opposite which is very different to the perception you have of him.

Probably 10 years ago bumped into Tony Coton in Castlefield the day before he went to do some coaching in the middle east. I approached him and told him how he broke my heart signing for United, his response was ‘well let me tell you the story’ and he duly explained. After that we had a few pints together with him, his mate and his son. Could not of met a nicer bloke.

Also briefly met Alex Williams who was very friendly.

Keith Curle I met at a football match once and we exchanged a few choice words, but that was not a reflection on him but myself as I brought him to task for stating ‘Wolves were a bigger club than city’ when he left us. Regret it now, but he was one of my heroes and I felt it was a betrayal and unnecessary as the club was on its knees, at the time, and it felt like this was twisting the knife.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.