Chelsea (a) post-match thread

It'll be a fine day when Fern isn't playing as CB anymore and when our best LB isn't a midfielder playing out of position by necessity and thus not to his full potential now 2 seasons straight.
Need to admit we need to finally sort CB and LB positions by bringing in first team talent at both positions. We are old man slow at the back besides Walker who was forced to cover our ass to prevent yet another goal today. Mendy is as agile as a three legged dog on ice skates... He simply is a defensive liability and we can't afford him anywhere near a game where we aren't heavily favored. Play him at LW if the only thing he can do is cross into the box... at least he wouldn't be a handicap to our defense.

Thank goodness for the return of games - this Forum is now more interesting to log onto, especially after a defeat in which two of our defensive muppets played the game "after you, no after you, no it is your turn to have a kick" "Oh shit the guy in blue wasn't suppose to do that".

I am studiously avoiding any media web site as the pundits and journos will be falling over each over to get their scouse stories out.

At least here in NZ the main football news is that the FIFA Women's World Cup in 2023 will be played here and in Australia.

Thank goodness for the return of games - this Forum is now more interesting to log onto, especially after a defeat in which two of our defensive muppets played the game "after you, no after you, no it is your turn to have a kick" "Oh shit the guy in blue wasn't suppose to do that".

I am studiously avoiding any media web site as the pundits and journos will be falling over each over to get their scouse stories out.

At least here in NZ the main football news is that the FIFA Women's World Cup in 2023 will be played here and in Australia.
Definately a move to remember or hopefully forget, I Watched it live and was screaming at the screen, one of the most awful defensive blunders I've seen in a while

As ever. some people way overreact when we lose a football game. It's not the end of the world, Liverpool were always going to pick up the title this season.

As for the game itself, City were the better team and Chelsea were very fortunate with their first goal, which changed the complexion of the game. We were actually growing in cofidence at that stage of the first half, started bright, lost a bit of composure after Chelsea started showing their countering threat, then we started getting control of the game again, and they were looking more and more penned in. That's how Mendy and Gundo ended up casually giving the ball away on the half way line. The mix up highlighted the lack of a consistent lineup and that Mendy isn't quite fully confident in himself yet. I for one can understand why considering his last 3 seasons, Gundo should have recognised this and taken charge. I know that seems as though Gundo is being made the scape goat but I do think KDB or Fernandinho would have spotted Mendy's body language straight away and done just that.

In the second half, we had to take it to Chelsea more and commit more to attack, which played into Chelsea's hands. We played our best football that half, which would have been enough against most teams but Chelsea had a lot to play for and have a better and larger squad than most teams(we were never going to just brush them aside). They were obviously fresher than City last night, since we've played more games, which played it's part in the last 20 mins or so. After KDBs goal, we needed Sterling to square that ball to Mahrez for an easy finish and that would have finished Chelsea off IMO. Their heads would have dropped at that point and we'd have just passed them to death for a bit but it wasn't to be. When Laporte came off, Abraham's fresh lanky legs really showed the lack of pace at the back, just a simple long ball over the top as we pushed for a a goal at the other end, was causing all sorts of problems... that ball wouldn't have been on had we gone ahead though.

I think the game at least showed us, we are not quite up to speed in defence and attack(to a lesser degree), plenty to work on for the games ahead that actually matter. Jesus not starting, is not some big mistake. Some people are just asking for an injury to our only available out and out striker. Thinking he can just come back and play every 3 days, after the biggest break from football most players have ever had, is a tad naive in my opinion.

Last edited:
Yeah but what did we pay? He was our savior at that position. Jeez.
I don't really care, it's not my money.
We always lose big time on player sales, Dzeko, Tevez, Robinho, Bony, Mangala, Adebayor etc etc.
Were the worst sellers ever haha
It used to bug me but I let that feeling go.
Mendy for me is not a good fit at City, get rid.

We lost to a defensive error and a penalty, conceded by yet another defensive error.

I think the clues are there on how we improve our points talky next season. Regardless of what the market does, we need to identify those players and bring them in if we want to improve ourselves.

Chelsea are supposedly a top four rival and yet, if we hadn't repeatedly shot ourselves in the foot, we'd have won at their place comfortably.

Plenty to take away from that, much of it positive. But if errors are dictating results rather than the way we play, then action needs taking.

Don't get the arrogance of Pep playing 35yr old Fernandinho at CB. Dinho has lost all his pace, only positive trait for him to play that role is his distribution which I think Stones does good too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.