Chelsea (a) post-match thread

We won't win any important ones again if we don't address the glaring weaknesses from this season.

Ah right all those important games we won to win the double the quad and maybe another double treble! We have had brain farts all through peps management.

He's also guilty of consistent brainfarts and a lack of focus.

you could say that about most players.overall though he’s won the league two years in a row and was excellent during that.

the team and players can’t always be great. We will have spells like now where we don’t play as well. Even then we are still second, won a trophy and doing well in the other competitions.

it’s not exactly as bad people are making out

Lots of jerking knees, but I guess that's to be expected. Players completely lost their heads and their shape last night. People are focussed on our defending but as always with our team, doesn't matter how we defend, it's how we attack that counts. Mahrez, Sterling, Bernardo, were all absolute really really poor. Bernardo in particular was a ghost for most of the game. The others tried but were completely shut out.

I think the system itself was partially a problem - at times we really had nobody running in behind Chelsea's back line. Everything seemed just about keeping the ball for the sake of it with nobody providing anything approaching a killer pass or a killer run. Chelsea defended deep and well tbf, but we still should've done more with the amount of ball we had.

None of that is to say that we don't have defensive problems which need solving. But we have the players we have, I can't cry about recruitment until the next window is done. I just know that Txiki and co need to work their magic. I suspect we're going to end up signing at least two defensive players though, so that's something.

Losing Sane, Laporte, Kompany and Fernandinho not in midfield had a massive effect. I believe it’s that simple, for those that say Sane would of gone anyway, well the 100 mill we’d of got would surely of been spent.
We’ve over used Sterling and he doesn’t look anything like the player he was becoming.
Whole season has not felt right from the get go, yet we’re right in there for more trophies.

Save for Foden, I look at our midfielders and see a lack of genuine pace, particularly when running back to our goal. A preference for possession has meant that we have fewer younger players that can cover the yards quickly enough, and that was as evident last year as it has been this. Would like to think a couple of younger midfielders would be bought to address this weakness, but I rather doubt that will happen.

you could say that about most players.overall though he’s won the league two years in a row and was excellent during that.

the team and players can’t always be great. We will have spells like now where we don’t play as well. Even then we are still second, won a trophy and doing well in the other competitions.

it’s not exactly as bad people are making out

The team will get better when we're honest with ourselves and bin off the players who have let us down time and again.

We've got a Europa League level defence at best. There are at least four right backs in the league I'd take over Walker. He brings pace and strength and not a lot else. Cancelo looks like he's not arsed. Stones is too busy fucking his life up. Otamendi is Otamendi and I genuinely can't wait until he leaves. Fernandinho should be a backup option. Mendy is a hunched over Kolarov. Zinchenko was a serviceable left back in the same way that Delph was for a season.

Our defence as a unit is protected by the way we play but on an individual level they are nearly all found wanting.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.