Bernardo Silva - 2019/20 Performances

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bernardo was consistently switching between midfield and right wing last season and he was putting in top class performances in both positions. Why is it affecting him now?

I wouldn't say he was consistently switched last season. By and large, he played the first part of the season in CM and the second part of the season as RW.

This season, like a lot of other players, he's been played in a different position in a different formation, and in and out of the team nearly every week.

That has to be one of the hardest things a player can do, and be expected to perform well.

I think Bernardo is probably more versatile than most but even then, there's a limit if it's constant week-in, week-out tinkering for the sake of it.

LOL okay I'm confused. Please tell me:

1) what exactly is Bernardo's best position?
2) what position do you personally think he is going to /should play long-term?

1. I think Bernardo's played the majority of his best games for City at RW - 4-3 v Spurs CL, Old Trafford April19 Jan2020, Fulham 2-0 2019
That's not to say I don't think he's been a brilliant CM - Liverpool Jan19 was his best game in a City shirt by a mile, but he doesn't have that same eye for goal or an assist there as Kevin does. He'd need to be surrounded by goalscorers as he was at CM.

2. I think he'll probably be staying on the RW and deputising for KDB at RCM. Maybe playing Rodri and Bernardo behind Kevin in a 4-2-3-1 would be a great way to have his midfield energy and pressing utilised whilst not dropping the best midfielder in the world.

Bernardo has too much talent to be a backup option and in the run in last season he was imperious with Raheem on the wings. He can get back to that

I wouldn't say he was consistently switched last season. By and large, he played the first part of the season in CM and the second part of the season as RW.

This season, like a lot of other players, he's been played in a different position in a different formation, and in and out of the team nearly every week.

That has to be one of the hardest things a player can do, and be expected to perform well.

I think Bernardo is probably more versatile than most but even then, there's a limit if it's constant week-in, week-out tinkering for the sake of it.

And he did it last year while not losing any of his touch, any of his workrate or any of his general exuberance that makes him stand out. Those things have deserted him since day one of the season this year for some reason. I don't think it's a positional problem. His whole demeanour seems to have changed. The energy from his game has gone, and that's not because he's playing in different positions, in my opinion of course.

I wouldn't say he was consistently switched last season.
By and large:

He played the first part of the season in CM.

He played the second part of the season as RW.

That's not to say I don't think he's been a brilliant CM - Liverpool Jan19 was his best game in a City shirt by a mile, but he doesn't have that same eye for goal or an assist there as Kevin does.

August 8th 2018 to January 13th 2019
5 Goals
6 Assists

January 14th 2019 to May 12th 2019
2 Goals
2 Assist

And he did it last year while not losing any of his touch, any of his workrate or any of his general exuberance that makes him stand out. Those things have deserted him since day one of the season this year for some reason. I don't think it's a positional problem. His whole demeanour seems to have changed. The energy from his game has gone, and that's not because he's playing in different positions, in my opinion of course.

I don't think he was asked to change position anywhere near as often last season and I think being asked to change position so often this season has contributed to his poor form but I agree that it's probably not the whole reason because he hasn't looked as fit or fast this season. Mahrez playing so well has meant he's been out of the side more often and for whatever reason, Pep seems to prefer Gundogan playing as an 8 no matter how many times we get beat with him there so Bernardo doesn't get much of a go there.

That said, I'd just be a bit hasty to over-analyse his performances this season, especially ones after the restart.

And yet his best performances in terms of work rate, energy, pressing and the things we all love about Bernardo were all there after Jan 14th as well. Bernardo's never been the goalscorer of the side

I think a few of our players have had mentality issues this season. But just like the rest of them he deserves a chance to play through it. Worked for Walker and Sterling.

Works his bollocks off, but has mostly been very average this season. With Foden's coming of age he needs to find his 18/19 form sharp-ish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.