Burnley (H) Post Match Thread

It was an enjoyable watch, despite the absurd comments from the BT team. I was amused by Hoddle's suggestion that Foden has to start back to back games to develop properly (this is the latest stick to beat us with to replace the "game-time" jibe) The fact that Hoddle fails to understand the fact that Foden had just played an away match in Europe explains why he was such a disastrous flop as a manager.
I am sure that Foden, who has already won more trophies than Hoddle did in his entire career, needs no advice from a dinosaur who, despite being very skilful, was one of the laziest players I have ever seen on a football pitch. He was a great under-achiever in English football.

Mahrez seemed much more direct than usual from the very first minute when he took the full back out.

Perhaps words have been said because this is what he is capable of. And yet we do not see it enough. Keep this up.

As far as I am concerned this Burnley side can go down. They have offered the Premier League nothing other than long ball anti-football since they came up and I never enjoy watching them.

We need to regularly rotate our midfield and forwards from now on because this season is like no other. KDB's passing was excellent but I thought he still was short of his top level when running with the ball and we have to be careful with him because if we are to do anything this season we have to have our best players in a good condition come April/May

The last two performances should give us hope. Olympiakos was a step change in intensity. Today Mahrez went for his full back. Burnley though were wretched. That goal from the throw-in...

Liverpool also give me hope. Their last two performances have been as bad as I can remember. They used to be able to grind out wins. Van Dijk would ensure a clean sheet whilst Salah or Mane would ensure at least 2-3 moments of magic in a generally mediocre game but they are well down on their level too.

We have to find a way of playing with intensity this season and I think it's going to be by unprecedented rotation. Foden and Bernardo in for the next game.

Biggest problem will be maintaining scoring without Aguero. Jesus has been top quality since he came back but we'll need Torres and Sterling to weigh in too.

Hopes raised.

Still don't know why that 1st half goal was disallowed. There are highlights on YouTube and from the cross nobody was offside. Don't know how with var that was missed and not checked by the ref. It all seemed rushed. It seems if the linesman's flag goes up then that's the end of debate.

Watched it with Mark Halsey he didn't see it either.
We were having a pop at Mahrez before kickoff he soon shut us up Mahrez different player great performance

We are currently best positioned in the league in terms of the quality of the squad. Yes, it will take time to reach the heights of the 17-19 performances but that's normal, the transition to a life post Kompany, Silva, Ferna and Aguero can't be easy.

Think Pep is building his best City team. So many outstanding players in their prime or about to enter their prime: Ederson, Walker, Dias, Laporte, Stones, Ake, Cancelo, Rodri, Bernardo, Sterling, KDB, Jesus. Plus world class talents like Phil and Ferran who will get better and better.

We need to sign replacements for Ferna, Gundy and Kun next summer + maybe a LB.

This season started badly but may finish quite well. That's my expectation. Come March-April we may be the best team in England. Or even earlier. There'll be some upsets here and there but the tendency in our performances will be largely positive (fingers crossed we avoid bad injuries, especially to key players).

Last edited:
Mendy and Stones look like players reborn, the last two games they have produced performances that make them undroppable.

Laporte has serious competition to get his place back, that can only be good for us.
Mendy plays fine attacking but if we play a team with a decent wide game he has too many defensive errors in his game.I expect to see another player at LB for the United game.

Best performance of the season by a mile. Fair enough, Burnley were well off it and gave us space but we had the urgency to exploit it nearly all game.

Not really arsed what the general consensus was for the Olympiakos game but I enjoyed it so if we can keep it up against Porto then we're back on track.

Special mentions for Riyad and John, who were both flawless, but I thought everyone put in a great performance.

It was checked, Jesus header his Torres who was just offside, the linesman guessed and got lucky, no way he "saw it" lucky flag.
Jesus' header hit Torres. It was clear enough on Match of the Day. I think the assistant thought that's what happened but whether he'd have been sure enough to flag (without VAR to check) I'm not sure.

Without hearing what the assistant says we can't know whether they are just guessing. I don't know if they're supposed to flag if they aren't sure, or just if they think he was offside but are following instructions to let play continue to let VAR be sure.

But we haven't had many incidents like the two Spurs offside goals three (?) seasons back at the Etihad (one two yards off). Which makes you wonder whether they are getting better, or something else was going on...

Mahrez seemed much more direct than usual from the very first minute when he took the full back out.

Perhaps words have been said because this is what he is capable of. And yet we do not see it enough. Keep this up.

As far as I am concerned this Burnley side can go down. They have offered the Premier League nothing other than long ball anti-football since they came up and I never enjoy watching them.

We need to regularly rotate our midfield and forwards from now on because this season is like no other. KDB's passing was excellent but I thought he still was short of his top level when running with the ball and we have to be careful with him because if we are to do anything this season we have to have our best players in a good condition come April/May

The last two performances should give us hope. Olympiakos was a step change in intensity. Today Mahrez went for his full back. Burnley though were wretched. That goal from the throw-in...

Liverpool also give me hope. Their last two performances have been as bad as I can remember. They used to be able to grind out wins. Van Dijk would ensure a clean sheet whilst Salah or Mane would ensure at least 2-3 moments of magic in a generally mediocre game but they are well down on their level too.

We have to find a way of playing with intensity this season and I think it's going to be by unprecedented rotation. Foden and Bernardo in for the next game.

Biggest problem will be maintaining scoring without Aguero. Jesus has been top quality since he came back but we'll need Torres and Sterling to weigh in too.

Hopes raised.
You are right about Burnley. They have been in the PL six out of the last seven seasons with approx £100m TV revenue a year but have shown no ambition. Dyche is often praised by the media but I don't accept this "little Old Burnley" excuse. Plenty of clubs with less money (including those all over Europe) play more attractive football. Teams in lower divisions with less gifted players play attacking football. We played great football under Keegan and Sven but shit football with the same quality of players under Pearce. I think Dyche, like Pearce, is just another dinosaur.

Good to see Stones showing some form and getting some love from Blues. I guess it helps having Dias next to him as he is a talker.

II don't side with those who get on Gundogan's back. I think he is one of the most technically gifted midfielders in the league and is canny too but his second half performance yesterday was very poor.

Torres seems to flit in and out of games. I am guessing he is learning his role and others getting to grips with how he plays. Anyone watched him closely who can offer a better informed opinion?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.