#27 | João Cancelo - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like him and at the moment I think he is in the best form of any of our foreign players, I will get pelters for that but I can’t think of anyone who has been as constant as him (Phil is our most inform player but is not getting a game in the league which puzzles me)

Currently our best and probably the leagues best fullback. Hard to argue who offers us more going forward from the wide areas than Cancelo and I’m including wingers in that. Has to be in the team.

Given his link up play with mahrez and his preference for the right, could we see Walker switched to left back if both are playing instead of Cancelo? Given walkers value to the side is primarily in his pace we don’t lose as much from his game having him on the left as we do from Cancelo. With mendy back and looking good and Ake and zinchenko both looking for minutes at fullback I honk we can say we’re at our strongest we’ve ever been under Pep in this area

He is head and shoulders above Walker attacking wise. It was nice to see some nice combination player between players involving him. This guy just has a nice touch and is able to
pass properly and try things.

Certainly don't agree with the "better than Walker" folk.

If he stopped cutting inside to play a pass with the outside of his right foot then that'd be nice.

I think he's more a MOTD player but still a good second option to have though in that position.

Walker has great recovery speed and brain-farts aside is probably a better defender than Cancelo. However in the majority of PL games, Walkers recovery and superior defensive qualities just aren’t needed. There may be half a dozen PL games over the course of a season where Walker would be the better choice but I believe that in the main, Cancelos ability on the ball and in the opposition half brings far more to the side.

Walker has great recovery speed and brain-farts aside is probably a better defender than Cancelo. However in the majority of PL games, Walkers recovery and superior defensive qualities just aren’t needed. There may be half a dozen PL games over the course of a season where Walker would be the better choice but I believe that in the main, Cancelos ability on the ball and in the opposition half brings far more to the side.
Fair enough but can he play in goal if Eddie sees red.

To his credit, Joao has improved - well, substantially improved - on defense. On offense he's deft on the ball - much better than Walker.

But he's not fantastic on offense - passes are good but not world class - shots often (nearly always?) miss - especially from range where they are most often way over the crossbar.

So... I'm not a fan. He's a decent RB on current form though I'd rather have Walker start if we need to defend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.