Words you hate?

“Way”

As in, “that’s way too expensive”.

Doesn’t make any sense at all. Way is completely the wrong word used in this context. Something can be “far too far” or “much too much”, but it can’t be “way too way”.

“Way” is either the route you take to get somewhere or the manner in which you do something.

Ball-ache when it's written "ballache". Loads do it on here, it's a ball-ache having to go back and re-decipher the word every time.

And here's a controversial one, "town" when people talk about Manchester. It's a city, folks. If people say they're going into town, it's going to be the one that's nearest to me or is most logical to the conversation, such as Bury.

Ball-ache when it's written "ballache". Loads do it on here, it's a ball-ache having to go back and re-decipher the word every time.

And here's a controversial one, "town" when people talk about Manchester. It's a city, folks. If people say they're going into town, it's going to be the one that's nearest to me or is most logical to the conversation, such as Bury.
Not having that one: Going to town means going to Manchester. Going to City means going to the match.

Not having that one: Going to town means going to Manchester. Going to City means going to the match.
But then you say you are going "into the city" or to a named place within it. I accept this might be a legacy of when I lived further away in the sticks and going to Manchester was a rare treat (usually Lewis's for the Christmas toys) whereby we had to pass 3 or 4 towns before getting to the city boundary.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.