RIP Bill Lyons (@Bill, previously @de niro) update re funeral pg 51/JustGiving link p52

Awful news. Bill was a true legend on this forum and amongst blues. Like many others, I met him a few times at away games over here and in Europe down the years. He also sorted me out with a Bournemouth away ticket back in 2016 when he had a spare as his daughter couldn't make it. I'd identified some cheap trains from Waterloo to Bournemouth and posted the info on here, to which he was extremely grateful for and as he'd seen that I was struggling for a ticket he helped me out. He also got me on the same earlier Piccadilly to Euston train as him that day after having a friendly chat with the conductor.

His selflessness when it came to helping out fellow blues with match tickets was off the scale. On that Bournemouth trip he told me that a City fan down south had located a ticket for the match a few days earlier but the guy selling it lived on the other side of Manchester to Bill, yet he still jumped in his car and made his way across town to pick it up. He then had to arrange to meet the bloke when down in Bournemouth to hand the ticket over. It's one thing doing these favours for our mates but Bill was doing them for complete strangers which for me was way above and beyond the call of duty.

Less than 18 months after that Bournemouth game I was in Rotterdam for our CL game against Feyenoord in September 2017. I bumped into @Tim of the Oak pre-match and he told me that Bill wasn't well and hadn't been for a while but it was all a bit of mystery at that point as they hadn't gotten to the bottom of what was wrong. It came as a bit of a shock because less than a year and a half previously at that Bournemouth match he was as healthy as anyone his age could be.

RIP Bill

Last edited:
Haven't posted on Bluemoon for a long long time, but found out about Bill and felt I had to pay my respects. Met him a few times over the years, at matches, in the Waldorf and on Bluemoon meetups. He was always a great bloke to talk to, and could wind people up with the best! Had him round my house, and my grans, to fit carpets as well. My gran dislikes pretty much everyone at first sight, she loved him!

It's such a shame, he was a fantastic bloke.

I won't swear but ****me where did you dig that up from? Judging by the age of Charlotte i'd guess it is yes.

I'm good thanks, ageing like a fine wine or at least that's what I keep telling myself.
Although looking at how young I look on that photo i'm not so sure now LOL!
I hope you and your's are all good?
I cannot wait to show Charlotte that photo. I have some of my own with Bill which i'm sure Millsythemosher and Craig, (can't remember his username) are also on them. I'll find them and put them on over the weekend.
Tonight has been lovely in a strange kind of way, so many old user names popping up it's like I've gone back in time. So many fitting tributes beautifully written that capture Bills personality.

Great to hear from you and see that photo.
Hi Josh,

Hope you are keeping well mate !? Been far too long.

If you do still have the photos it'd be great to see them - We all shared some great memories. Me and Craig still look back fondly on the away trips we had with You, Bill, Charlotte, Claire and the rest of the gang.

Deepest condolences to Bill’s family.

I spent a bit of time re-reading some of his posts on here. He was such a character. He said he was a Tory, but I’m sure he was pulling everyone’s legs. His love for the blues was limitless and he was an icon on this forum.

It‘s clear from all the wonderful tributes that Bill lived his life the way we would all aspire to. With generosity, kindness and courage.

Rest in peace Bill.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.