11 | Jeremy Doku - 2023/24

I think that's a cardio thing, he burns out quickly. The fitness coaches need to turn it up a notch, the pace is there but he lacks longevity
Agreed. He will round up physically, this isnt his prime yet, and lets not forget he missed almost the entire season two years ago with injuries that cause exactly that type of aerobic deficiency.

But to say Doku is slow should honestly disqualify you from the discussion. Hes as explosive as it gets, but needs to sustain it. Never having to run off the ball contributes to it. btw, Mbappe also is in the french farmers league. And Doku has shown his quality on the international stage. Crazy how much hate this kid gets.

Agreed. He will round up physically, this isnt his prime yet, and lets not forget he missed almost the entire season two years ago with injuries that cause exactly that type of aerobic deficiency.

But to say Doku is slow should honestly disqualify you from the discussion. Hes as explosive as it gets, but needs to sustain it. Never having to run off the ball contributes to it. btw, Mbappe also is in the french farmers league. And Doku has shown his quality on the international stage. Crazy how much hate this kid gets.

He's a young lad learning his trade. He's been thrown in at the deep end because of Jack's injuries.
Patience is what's needed at this stage of his City career. His time will come.

Doku does not like playing on the right side.

There is an interview of Doku's former coach back in November. Quote:

--
That is still true now when Pep Guardiola bought Doku as a right winger after Riyad Mahrez left. The right-hand side: Kompany attempted that as well. He always gravitates back to the left, as has happened at City.

‘Everyone has tried,’ Haegeman laughs. ‘He was playing as a No 9 in the Under 13s. Kindermans asked me to put Jeremy in another position to learn something new. But Jeremy didn’t like it! I saw a good player but not Jeremy. To be honest, before a game, I said: “Jeremy, please… today you will play on the left but please give me 15 minutes on the right side to do your job, so everybody at the club is happy!”’

---

The answer is that he does not like to play on the right.

He made it very clear after that Bournemouth game - "all the G/A came from left". Although - technically he roamed to the right and made a typical right winger assist - but he ignored it and insisted everything coming from left.

The sad fact is that most of our youngsters care too much about goals. Phil Alvarez and Doku - their first instinct and preference are always cutting in and shot - comparing to what Gundo Grealish and Bernado did last season. There is nothing wrong. But the problem is that you cannot have too many players in this category on the pitch at the same time... It makes our attacking quite one dimensional.

So why on earth did we spend 60mils for a developing player as a replacement for Mahrez? He hardly looks a versatile, technical, pacey winger/wide playmaker Pep seems to like.

I'll give him another couple of seasons of crossing to nobody to decide that it's his fault...

Honestly, I really like it when he's in the team. It's nice to have a bit of unpredictability. I think we've become so used to our patterns of play that as fans we almost know exactly what's going to happen before it does. With him you don't.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.