Joe Royle - has he been acknowledged enough?

I loved Joe Royle, When he took over we were in massive trouble as a club, He done a marvellous job for us. It's no joke being in Division Two and every single team treating it as a cup final against us.

When we got promoted into Division One being realistic about it we possibly punched above our weight to finish second in the league because other teams in the league possibly had better players than us, Royle had us a better team than the rest which is the main thing.

On top of all that I've met him quite a few times and can't speak highly enough of him he's an absolute gentleman.

Happy Birthday Big Joe. I am struggling with the lack of respect and affection that some Blues who posted in this thread a couple of years ago seem to have for him. Arguably his finest body of work was at Oldham where he built an amazing attacking team from other players cast offs. Getting them promotion to the top flight and to an FA semi-final against the rags was an amazing achievement. His football at Everton was functional but he won a trophy and his time at City was good even if things were on a knife edge at times.
Living proof that some scousers are admirable gentlemen.

Happy Birthday Big Joe. I am struggling with the lack of respect and affection that some Blues who posted in this thread a couple of years ago seem to have for him. Arguably his finest body of work was at Oldham where he built an amazing attacking team from other players cast offs. Getting them promotion to the top flight and to an FA semi-final against the rags was an amazing achievement. His football at Everton was functional but he won a trophy and his time at City was good even if things were on a knife edge at times.
Living proof that some scousers are admirable gentlemen.
2 FA semis and a LC Final with them. 6 nil at home v West Ham in a Semi-Final (Pellegrini style), plastic pitch blamed.

Great admiration for Joe both as player and manager, and one with a sense of humour. However, David Bernstein's book, and particularly the chapter 'The Bubbles burst', and observations on the drinking culture give another insight.

It wasn’t Scunny the next season and it may not have been Pep etc many seasons later thanks to Mr Bernstein and yourself.

Happy Birthday and thank you.

Great fella, so down to earth and a proper unit.
Me and his lad Darren played in the same Sunday league team as kids and Joe was there every week supporting.

Did a great job for us. As a club we was dead, skint and players who didn't give two fucks about us was sucking us dry. He came in and with help from David Bernstein and Andy Morrison got the club breathing again. Joe Royle will always be a part of City's history and future history.

The Promotion season under Joe Royle was one of the most enjoyable as a City fan, 30 years of hurt under Swales was gone and for once we had momentum and genuine hope.

The blackburn away final game one of the best away days ever, I will always look back on that day fondly, incredible atmosphere and on pitch celebrations.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.