28 Years Ago Today

paulchapo said:
The Charlton game i remember they had a rookie goalie making his debut,just a kid and he froze on a couple of occasions against Paul Simpson leading to goals.I wonder what happened to him?

We cocked it up big style in another end of season game close to that,1988 i think.We only had to beat Bournemouth at home to be promoted.3-0 up at half time the party started,only for Bournemouth,inspired by Ian Bishop and Luther Blissett to fight back and draw 3-3 with an injury time penalty,meaning we had to get a draw at Bradford on the last day which we did....just!!

Remember that game. I couldn't believe we threw it away and the 50 Bournemouth fans in the (old) Platt Lane went mental.

Always seemed to be an eventful day out at Notts. County for some reason. I think certain well known City fans popped in the dressing room amongst all the chaos for a chat with the lads about their under performance, that day.

Then there was the FA Cup game a few years later, where we again took over the ground, had about 90% possession and still managed to lose one nil.

And of course the sombre night in the League Cup down there, the same night as the twin towers came a cropper.

tidyman said:
Always seemed to be an eventful day out at Notts. County for some reason. I think certain well known City fans popped in the dressing room amongst all the chaos for a chat with the lads about their under performance, that day.

Then there was the FA Cup game a few years later, where we again took over the ground, had about 90% possession and still managed to lose one nil.

And of course the sombre night in the League Cup down there, the same night as the twin towers came a cropper.

After that FA Cup game I remember seeing Mark Ward rushing through the carpark already changed only about 20mins after the final whistle.

Must've had something urgent to attend to.

black mamba said:
I was at Notts County that day , and yes , thousands of City fans were there ..... what a chaotic day , i'll bet Meadow Lane has never seen an away following like it.

But we managed to fluff the game , it was always likely that we would ..... we only woke up when we were three goals down.
I was there that day, 28 years where has that gone, most chaotic day following City away ever, every loony in Manchester that day must have been there.
Talking to a Notts fan years ago on holiday he was there that day with his Mrs and said she was petrified and left at half time to wait for him in the pub by the canal but when she got there that was full of pissed up City as well so she went home !!

Bournemouth at home was my first full season, its the first game I remember going home amazed at how City had given me so much hope then blown it, god knows how many times it has happened since!

Got to the ground at ten to three. There were thousands queuing at our end, it was pay at the gate and loads didn't get in till about 3.30. Me and my mate went down to their end, 3 people in the queue, so in we went. We then hopped the fence and walked down to our end. We were nicely placed for the ko. Ah! The days of cash turnstiles!<br /><br />-- Mon May 06, 2013 4:55 pm --<br /><br />Got to the ground at ten to three. There were thousands queuing at our end, it was pay at the gate and loads didn't get in till about 3.30. Me and my mate went down to their end, 3 people in the queue, so in we went. We then hopped the fence and walked down to our end. We were nicely placed for the ko. Ah! The days of cash turnstiles!

i kne albert davy said:
Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
Good ole days? Sounds horrendous!
No it was a great day out didn't seem like it at the time though 28 years ago where my life gone .
I was thinking the very same ! Can't believe that was 28 years ago.

Remember being outside a pub having a few bevvies in Chesterfield. Think it was with Dukinfield supporters club, waving at the thousands of City fans going past in coaches and cars. Mad day fences coming down and bedlam everywhere. Never seen us take over an away ground to that extent. A copper waded into the crowd behind the nets at one point twatting people with a big stick he had. Big mistake, some big grisly laid him out and a bit of a running battle with the Police cordon ensued. Shite result but made the Charlton game all the sweeter, Simmo was unplayable that day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.