£5.25 Aldi wine as good as £3,000 bottle.

Wife has heard of this before from the knackeredmotherswineclub, but never actually tasted it, but it's really interesting to know that that wine expert rated it equivilant to a 3k bottle.

Quite a few year back we went on a cruise to Israel and because we were technically in steerage, we were allocated on a table for twelve. A mixed bunch consisting of Germans, a Spanish couple and some diners from Norway.

Anyway the German family were par excellent hosts and as they got more pissed they offered us both a glass of their posh wine. The sommelier said it was 250 dollars a bottle, but to be fair, I couldnt dicern between a bottle costing under £20 back home. Maybe it's the Emporers Clothes effect, oR maybe because my working class taste buds are more trained toward the juniper berry, than the fruit of the vine.

There are some really really excellent reds doing the rounds for under a tenner, and even if I was carrying, I still would not wish to spend much more.

I think you get to a certain level on drinks and then it all just tastes nice. Just like the gin, and after a Tanqeray No's 10, I cannot taste anything better for the price.

Maybe the quality single malts are a different kettle of fish, and I wish my pocket would allow me more funds to investigate the auntie further.

However in the stlye of the old Aldi adverts ..

I like this one

But I also like this one

hE4NeSi.jpg

Anyway OP Thanks for the heads up on this cheeky Bordeux, and at only £5.25 a bottle it has to be said that it's really really delightfull.We've done one each with some Jacobs and Cathedral City, and all I can say is mais oui et Bonne Le Douche!

Last edited:
@gordondaviesmoustache okay I finally opened it. Now like the reviewer I've obviously not tasted a £3,000 bottle of wine either, so I can't say if this is as good. To me it tasted like....well wine. Nothing special at all. In fact personally I prefer a barefoot Merlot. I guess I'm never going to make a wine expert lol.

@gordondaviesmoustache okay I finally opened it. Now like the reviewer I've obviously not tasted a £3,000 bottle of wine either, so I can't say if this is as good. To me it tasted like....well wine. Nothing special at all. In fact personally I prefer a barefoot Merlot. I guess I'm never going to make a wine expert lol.
At least it tasted like wine!

Sounds about right, i always go second cheapest option wine in restaurant and always been fine.
When I worked in a restaurant, the second and third cheapest wines were actually a cheaper bottle than the cheapest (if that makes sense) because the house wine sold so much that we got a huge discount on it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.