10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
People saying we need to be "patient" with Grealish like he hasn't hit the ground running. He's been playing some absolutely tremendous stuff so far. Yeah, he's had two below-par performances this week - probably because he was playing in a slightly new position after starting every single game this season (save for Wycombe).

I've just looked back through the "Man of the Match" threads from each game this season.

Spurs (A) - Grealish MOTM
Norwich (H) - Grealish 3rd place, goal
Arsenal (H) - Grealish 7th place, assist
Leicester (A) - Grealish 4th place
Leipzig (H) - Grealish 2nd place
Southampton (H) - Grealish MOTM
Chelsea (A) - Grealish 6th place
PSG (A) - Grealish 7th place
Liverpool (A) - First time Grealish receives 0 votes

Clearly our fans think he's done a bloody good job up to now.

People saying we need to be "patient" with Grealish like he hasn't hit the ground running. He's been playing some absolutely tremendous stuff so far. Yeah, he's had two below-par performances this week - probably because he was playing in a slightly new position after starting every single game this season (save for Wycombe).

I've just looked back through the "Man of the Match" threads from each game this season.

Spurs (A) - Grealish MOTM
Norwich (H) - Grealish 3rd place, goal
Arsenal (H) - Grealish 7th place, assist
Leicester (A) - Grealish 4th place
Leipzig (H) - Grealish 2nd place
Southampton (H) - Grealish MOTM
Chelsea (A) - Grealish 6th place
PSG (A) - Grealish 7th place
Liverpool (A) - First time Grealish receives 0 votes

Clearly our fans think he's done a bloody good job up to now.
Many are still attempting to justify the shite they were spouting in the transfer forum.

Be interesting to see whether it’s Foden or Grealish who is being groomed for the centre midfield role. I thought it’d be Foden but he’s just so good on the wing to do it anytime soon.

They’re both that good that it feels silly to leave one of them on the bench and rotate on the wing.

One thing I can’t wait for in a few years is them both being in midfield with Rodney sitting behind them!

Looked a bit gassed the last couple games, mostly due to having to play every game imo.

Played him in a position he hasn't played before in quite possibility the hardest game to do it in, pep doing pep things. However I actually think he did his job well, and that was to occupy the CB's allowing foden basically free reign at Milner. I don't think he played that well, mostly due to being gassed and out of position, however strangely I do feel like his job was just to occupy players.
I think it was worth a try to keep Foden and Jesus in their best positions. Without a striker, the formation is inevitably going to be fluid and with so many games, I believe Pep is trying to create a versatile setup where players can play in several positions, allowing him to rotate the squad without losing effectiveness. In that context, Grealish only playing on the left is a problem - and I expect we will see him tried in other positions (right wing, central midfield) to see where else he can be effective.

You are jumping to conclusions on the basis of one game, and that game was at Anfield. If you had to judge Aguero, Kompany or Fernandinho on the basis of their performances at Anfield, I'd dread the conclusion you'd arrive at.

The assumptions you make are dubious. You are conflating your own interpretations of Pep's reasons to play Grealish at false 9 with his real reasons. Chelsea and Liverpool are utterly different teams. Foden did a great job at Chelsea (judge his performance relative to the team performance, not relative to individual stats), we were absolutely fantastic there!, but Pep decided that against Liverpool/Milner he would be more useful on the left. Too early to tell whether Pep will continue to play Foden on the left and whether Grealish can(not) excel in midfield or as a false 9.

It's Pep Guardiola who determines what our best XI is, not guys on the internet. As long as Grealish features in the starting XI in the biggest games and we play well, he's part of our best XI. It's as simple as that. To think about our players in terms of a priori fixed roles (e.g. false 9 or left winger) is something many posters here do, but not the best manager in the world. Relax and leave it to him to decide how to use both Foden and Grealish, he's likely to come with good solutions.
You're still missing my point. I haven't reached any conclusions on Grealish. My comments are based on the factual statement that he has only played in one position (Anfield aside); and the fairly indisputable observation that Foden is better in that particular position. And that's based on numerous games for Foden and the whole season to date for Grealish (not one game as you incorrectly say).

As for your second paragraph, it's great you have a hotline into Pep's mind and reasoning. Back in the real world, it's just your opinion - as was mine. That said, I have seen almost nobody else who thinks Foden was "great" against Chelsea. The team was great, but that doesn't mean every single player had a barnstormer.

Finally, of course it's too early to tell where else Grealish can excel. That was my whole point. To be a consistent part of our first choice team, he is going to have to show he can play elsewhere. That's a "not observed" as of now as he has not been tried anywhere else (except false 9 at Anfield). Again, my opinion. You are perfectly entitled to yours - that's why we debate.

99% of the posts here are people complaining at an imaginary "bashing" of grealish. we get it.
I think they haven't read the posts tbh. Majority of posts are not bashing Grealish at all. They are making observations based on his first few games as to how he can be most useful to the team. All opinions. If people are not interested in different opinions, beats me why they are on a public forum

99% of the posts here are people complaining at an imaginary "bashing" of grealish. we get it.
The posts are there to see. About a handful from the same people who didn't want him in the first place and have now decided to let us know after every game what he didn't do well and not worth the fee.
You don't seem to get it at all.
A below par week after a very bright first month should be encouraging but nah, Bluemoons brain trust have already labelled him a poor signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.