10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grealish is currently part of our best XI. But the best XI is not a permanent thing, it's dynamic, players lose and regain form. Cancelo and Rodri were part of our best XI when we won 21 games in a row, but lost form toward the end of last season and didn't play in the CL final. The season is long, at different times we'll have a different best XI. Remember that Gundo is 31 and Kevin is 30. They will be rotated. Also, some players will get injuries. Again, the best XI is a dynamic thing. The likes of Stones, Zinch, Mahrez, Torres and Sterling may hit top form at some moment and become part of the best XI. Nobody expected that Gundo was going to be one of our most important players last season.

How is Grealish part of our best XI? He can currently only play on the left and he is not going to displace Foden

That's a false analogy. We had nobody remotely comparable to Foden playing in Mahrez's best position.

Also no idea what you mean by "worked out fine". Mahrez is now down in the pecking order behind Jesus on the right. Similarly, Grealish could end up in a similar position behind Foden - which was my original point. As I said, it doesn't appear that you read the post you responded to.
When Mahrez signed we had Sané and Sterling coming off the back of the extremely successful 17/18 season, and Bernardo was beginning to hit his stride. RW Sterling was definitely remotely comparable to LW Foden.

Also, Mahrez played a key role in last season's successes. In fact since the back end of his first season he's had a lot of pivotal moments. Just because in this moment he's not being the first choice player doesn't render him as not working out fine. As alexmcity states you can't get too held up by the current XI, it changes.

How is Grealish part of our best XI? He can currently only play on the left and he is not going to displace Foden
Either of them can move to the right and Gabby moves inside...that's one way...

Are you serious? Grealish has started all big games so far, he's part of our best XI. We just played 3 of the strongest teams on the planet and Grealish was in the starting XI for any of the games. I think Pep will continue to play him in the biggest games even after Gundo's return. Right now, it's highly likely that Pep will start him at Old Trafford or in the home game vs PSG. Foden can play everywhere. We were fantastic at SB just a week ago with Foden as a false 9. If/when Pep benches Grealish, then you may complain. But even then it will be premature. Give him 6 months, he will be great.

Are you serious? Grealish has started all big games so far, he's part of our best XI. We just played 3 of the strongest teams on the planet and Grealish was in the starting XI for any of the games. I think Pep will continue to play him in the biggest games even after Gundo's return. Right now, it's highly likely that Pep will start him at Old Trafford or in the home game vs PSG. Foden can play everywhere. We were fantastic at SB just a week ago with Foden as a false 9. If/when Pep benches Grealish, then you may complain. But even then it will be premature. Give him 6 months, he will be great.

I don't think you are paying attention to the games. Grealish started all the games on the left when Foden was injured. With Foden back for Chelsea and Liverpool, Pep tried Foden as false 9 against Chelsea - if you think he was fantastic in that position, you definitely were not watching. So Pep switched Foden back to his best position on the left and Grealish was tried at false 9 and that didn't work. So where or how is Grealish going to fit in our best XI?

The question is rhetorical as the answer is clear. As I said before, Grealish is a perfectly good player, but it's infinitely clear Foden is just better on the left. And it's not really close.

Either of them can move to the right and Gabby moves inside...that's one way...

It's possible. Two questions are: (1) Jesus has been very effective on the right; will we lose his playmaking if he is down the middle; and (2) I am not sure Grealish has played on the right (someone can correct me if he has). Not saying he can't do it - in fact that was my original point. He has to show more position versatility if he is going to play in the big games.

Are you serious? Grealish has started all big games so far, he's part of our best XI
that's a self-affirming statement. "He's part of the best 11 because he was started in the important games". So? People are suggesting that he shouldn't have - just the fact that he was starting them is not enough to suggest he deserved to be part of the best 11.

Looked a bit gassed the last couple games, mostly due to having to play every game imo.

Played him in a position he hasn't played before in quite possibility the hardest game to do it in, pep doing pep things. However I actually think he did his job well, and that was to occupy the CB's allowing foden basically free reign at Milner. I don't think he played that well, mostly due to being gassed and out of position, however strangely I do feel like his job was just to occupy players.

Foden was coming through young.

So was Leroy.

So was Jesus.

Mahrez still isn't there yet, and isn't the player we thought we'd bought.

Aguero had little to no difficulties - Pep just messed with him.

I don't recall Kev or Raheem having many either, the later having only developed them of late.

26 years old, 100m pound player. Be honest with yourselves - you should be expecting more.

The Mahrez comparisons are apt. The low baseline he set over his first two seasons made last season look like a stunning success. Now he's back to the bench. Should we not be expecting more from a guy who cost us 60m three seasons ago?

Does he look anywhere like the player he was at Leicester, where he was the big fish in the small pond, ala Grealish at Villa? No

When we saw that team sheet yesterday which listed him on the bench, were we disappointed? No

When we were trying to win the game, were we clamouring for him to come on? No

That says it all to me.
I still don't understand why we bought Mahrez although there have been flashes of brilliance he has never looked to be an essential part of the system. Grealish has looked out of his depth during the last two games but must be given time before any judgement can be made about whether it was a wise purchase. One thing that crossed my mind yesterday though was how much must Phil Forden be worth if Jack sets you back that amount?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.