10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Grealish now taking over as the "player to divide opinion" now that Sterling is on his way out ? ;)

As always, the truth is somewhere in between.

He's had a much better start to life here than some are giving him credit for but he definitely needs to improve his goal and assist numbers. He's been told so by at least two of his managers and it's blatantly obvious that he carries very little threat in terms of goals.

We're less than a fifth of our way through his first season so I've got full confidence that he'll either learn to get himself into better goalscoring positions or learn to play in midfield.

Other than that, the only other gripes I've got with him are minor and he's a joy to watch when he rides challenges.

I'll be glad to explain it to you, first of all for your information being a creative player doesn't mean just scoring goals and giving assist.

Grealish last season at Villa scored 6 goals and had 10 assists in 26 games played , does that sound impressive to you ?
His impressive stats last season were others, 3.1 key paases per game (only Kevin had more in the PL 3.2), 70 chances created from open play (only Bruno Fernandes had more 77 but he also played more games than Jack) , 2.88 chances created from open play per game (best in the PL), 83.3% pass success (better than Kevin , Bruno Fernandes and many other players).
He has great accuracy in passing, he can retain possession , he has a great ability to pick up a pass and create a chance, he is intelligent on AND off the ball, he can dribble past players, he can win you set pieces , penalty kicks, he can carry the ball and create chances , get players on him and free up space for his teammates so on.
He can play up front, he can play as a winger , as an attacking midfielder.
Overall he is a Pep kind of player , that js why we paid 100 mil for him and that is why he has started in every game so far.

So you see theres more to football than goals and assists.
When we as a team play without a striker, ALL the players have to contribute in terms of goals, particularly the midfield and forwards.

Grealish is a very good player but to become a respected and great player he HAS to significantly up his goal threat and goal tally.

Fuck me!

You just tried to school me by using the word “chances” about 10 times!

WTF?

I feel like I’ve forgotten more about football than your stat laden response and circular arguments have convinced me you know!

Ever been in a dressing room with REAL TALK, not the City TV Bullshit?! I grew up in them!

You have a nice weekend figuring out what “chances” in a Villa team and “chances” in a City team means.

You’re super smart at quoting stats, though. Well done!!
And you're smart at ignoring facts just so you can complain about the lad. You probably aren't that impressed with Pep so far as our team doesn't have players to score 30 goals a season which seems to be what you want to see , apparently. Our team has players that work their asses off to press, keep possession and create chances while we score with a lot of our players , that is why our goal tally is high.
I also expect Grealish to score more bur he has been doing ok so far overall , he only played 7 games and he faced Chelsea, Tottenham , Liverpool and Arsenal in thoes games, a bit harsh to already start complaining about how many goals he's scored.

When we as a team play without a striker, ALL the players have to contribute in terms of goals, particularly the midfield and forwards.

Grealish is a very good player but to become a respected and great player he HAS to significantly up his goal threat and goal tally.
let me repeat myself for the 100th time, our top scorers are Jesus and Torres with 2 goals , Grealish has 1. Why are we pointing him out , because he's new ?

let me repeat myself for the 100th time, our top scorers are Jesus and Torres with 2 goals , Grealish has 1. Why are we pointing him out , because he's new ?
Because he never looks like scoring and the same when he was at Villa and his biggest weakness.

Foden plays in a very similar position , yet looks like he could score in every game, a big difference.

Torres with a little luck could have trebled his tally this season.

Grealish WILL have to improve his goal scoring, that's just a fact.

Is Grealish now taking over as the "player to divide opinion" now that Sterling is on his way out ? ;)
This almost definitely happens with every single set of fans in football.

Some comments after a few games said things like “Grealish is already the second best player at City, only de Bruyne is better”.

Just wildly over the top.

It’s like those who said “John Stones is finished at City, he’s Mr Calamity” because he was having a tough time with injuries and confidence and made the odd mistake here and there (despite still having excellent games in that time - Chelsea at home 2019, even every single thing he did bar the fall in the 2020 EFL Cup final!). Just wildly over the top.

But City fans are no different to any other set of fans, this stuff goes on at every club.

Jack will eventually find his perfect position in this team at the moment he is doing well, not brilliant but well, but how many players can you name who have come into a Pep City side and slotted in perfectly. He has done better than most, he will learn from Pep this season and will be a massive asset to this club.

Jack will eventually find his perfect position in this team at the moment he is doing well, not brilliant but well, but how many players can you name who have come into a Pep City side and slotted in perfectly. He has done better than most, he will learn from Pep this season and will be a massive asset to this club.
Only Jesus, Ederson, and Dias have hit the ground running under Pep. Kolorov was really good at centre half under Pep too.

Even the established players struggled compared to their best form in Pep’s first season.

Like you say, Grealish hasn’t been brilliant, but he’s been quite good. Poor or more fairly, ineffective, at times; very good at others.

Pep is still working out his best attributes by playing him in different roles. Jack is still learning how to play under Pep. As always, next season is the best time to judge. However, that shouldn’t mean people shouldn’t call out poor and ineffective performances and say things like “he’s going to have to be better and more effective than that if he wants to make it at City” because that’s true, but are only observations about individual performances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.